Ask
    loveuabhij Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Non resident W4 for dual status
    Hello All,

Following is my employment status:

2007 Jan - May - part time as graduate assistant at university
    2007 Jun - Dec - full time on CPT

My employer did not withheld my social security and medicare tax in 2007 while on CPT.

Now in year 2008, I'm on OPT (since 17 dec) and my H1 will get processed making me a dual status candidate. What options should I fill up on non-resident w4 form for state TN so that my employer doesn't withhold my social / medicare tax ?

Do I have to fill up federal 673 and/or 8233?

Thanks.

Abhijeet
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 12:52 PM
    The date your H-1 becomes effective is the date YOU become liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes.

The W-4 has NO BEARING on this determination.

Your employer probably knows this fact (since he is sponsoring you for your H-1 visa), but if he does not begin to withhold the FICA taxes, you have the LEGAL OBLIGATION to tell him to withhold these taxes on the H-1 visa's effectve date.
    loveuabhij Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Thanks for your answer.
    Do I have to write EXEMPT status in w4 line 7?

Abhijeet

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    The date your H-1 becomes effective is the date YOU become liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes.

The W-4 has NO BEARING on this determination.

Your employer probably knows this fact (since he is sponsoring you for your H-1 visa), but if he does not begin to withhold the FICA taxes, you have the LEGAL OBLIGATION to tell him to withhold these taxes on the H-1 visa's effectve date.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 08:42 PM
    No, that will cause your employer to not withhold ANY income tax, and that is NOT a good idea.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 02:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by loveuabhij
    Hello All,

Following is my employment status:

2007 Jan - May - part time as graduate assistant at university
    2007 Jun - Dec - full time on CPT

My employer did not withheld my social security and medicare tax in 2007 while on CPT.

Now in year 2008, I'm on OPT (since 17 dec) and my H1 will get processed making me a dual status candidate. What options should I fill up on non-resident w4 form for state TN so that my employer doesn't withhold my social / medicare tax ?

Do I have to fill up federal 673 and/or 8233?

Thanks.
    Abhijeet
    You are nonresident for entire 2007, and are not Dual status alien for 2007. For 2008 you will file as resident.

Form 673: Statement for Claiming Exemption From Withholding on Foreign Earned ncome Eligible for the Exclusion(s) Provided by Section 911
    Form 8233: Exemption From Withholding on Compensation for Independent (and Certain Dependent) Personal Services of a Nonresident Alien Individual

Both the above two forms don't apply in your case. In 2007, you will also file Form 8843.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident/nonresident/dual-status? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi again! I posted a question a few days ago and you were very helpful. I am a little confused as to what my status is. 2003 - F1 - 202 days 2004 - F1/OPT - 305 days 2005 - 293 days: >> F1/OPT until Jun 30 - 176 days >> stayed after visa expired for 1 month - then left...

Dual-status or resident alien while leaving the US [ 1 Answers ]

I've been in the US on an H1 for 5 years and left the US in Apr 2007. By the substantial presence test, I can file as a resident (married-filing-jointly). Alternatively, I can file as dual-status, and I am trying to decide which makes sense: Dual Status alien: Only income until Apr counts, but...

Dual Status resident filing [ 1 Answers ]

I arrived in United States in March 2006 on H1B and my wife joined me in October 2006 as H4. I am aware that I am a non resident until March and then became resident alien for the remaining year. Since my wife joined me in October she is a non resident alien and can I claim her on my taxes as an...

Dual Status resident [ 1 Answers ]

I am a dual status resident and have to file 1040NR for first 3 months and for remaining months I will be filing 1040. I am married and have one son. Can I claim my spouse and kid as dependent and claim exemption. Thank you.

Dual status resident or resident? [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure whether I am a dual status resident despite reading the IRS website. Background: I arrived on September 17, 2005 in the USA, started working on September 19, 2005. I filled as nonresident (1040NR I believe) in 2005. I spent a week vacation in February 2006 in my homecountry. I...

View more questions Search