Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    like2smile Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Where can I get a surety bond to work in a government agency handling money
    I am job hunting with government agencies who ask if I'm bondable. These jobs typically want the person to accept cash, checks, and credit card payments. I am a felon, served less than a year in federal women's camp. I know that I am bondable just don't know where to get the bond and for how much. Does anyone know th requirements for the state of Texas?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 11:41 AM
    The employor normally has their companies that they use to provide their bonds. You can check with most full line insurance agencies who ofer bonds.Depending on the criminal offense and how long ago you were in prison, you may or may not be bondable depending on the job
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jan 18, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Bonds are of two broad categories 1) surety and 2) fidelity... Surety bonds are not insurance, they are "extensions of credit" and there are three parties to the bond, i.e. the principal, (that would be you in this case), the surety (that would be the surety/insurance company that assumes whatever risk there is) and the obligee ( that would be in your case, the govt agency requiring the bond)... so when they ask you "are you bondable", then your next questions are 1) for what purpose? And 2) provide me a copy of the bond you want me to give you.. (you then would take that form to an agetn who represents a surety/insurance company and ask if they can write the bond... but let me back up for a moment... I am of the opinion that those govt employees that ask you "are you bondable" really have no idea what they mean or what they want... I have written bonds for individuals, companies, non profit organizations, public officials and have never known a state / federal agency to require any one individual to provide a bond as a condition of employment.. only perhaps as a condition of entering into a contract with a govt agency to perform certain functions.. i.e. such as selling fishing licenses at a state fishing lake, taking license fees... the bond guaranteeing that the vendor remits the fees to the govt agency... Fidelity bonds are the 2nd broad category and a state/federal agency usually will always either "self insure" fideltiy risks or purchase a "blanket" bond covering or "blanketing" all employess in the event of losses caused by employees dishonest acts... I have never written an individual fidelity bond for a govt agency. Hope this info helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surety Bond - Convicted felon [ 7 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon (drug charge) who has served his time and is now going to school to learn a trade get bonded and get a contractor license?

Government contracted work [ 5 Answers ]

I was hired by a union contractor to do some work out of state, out of town and out of the country, all these jobs were on the military base, a government contract. Am I supposed to get prevailing wage rate? I'm a comm and system installer, very experienced, based out of California. Do you know...

Surety bonds available to ex-felons [ 1 Answers ]

I consider surety bonding of felons to be an ethical issue. Are there bonding agencies in California that provide bonds for ex-felons? The bond would allow the person to serve as a payee or other type of fiscal agent.

Money bond for employment! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am processing H1B through a consultancy and they are asking me to sign a document which says 1 year contract 10,000USD money bond in case of breaching the 1 year contract. I would like to know the legal validity of such a contract in United States. Please help me out. Thanks in...

View more questions Search