Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fxjamy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 04:24 AM
    Can I get to know d location of the person who is currently chatting to me?
    Can I get to know d xact location (country / city / street / house num.) of the person who is currently chatting to me?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 05:15 AM
    Simply put NOPE!

Best way to do this is to ask them ;)

Jan 7, 2006, 06:48 AM
    What if...
    What if person on nother side lies where he/she is!
    Think for a while and then ans!
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 06:54 AM
    Still nope, but it really depends on what app you are chatting on and your access rights.
    On normal IM apps then definantly nope, but if you are using an online chat room and you have admin rights then you may be able to see their IP address.
    This STILL doesn't tell you exactly where they are.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2006, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fxjamy
    wat if person on nother side lies where he/she is!!
    think 4 a while n then ans!!
    CurlyBen didn't have to think before answering such a question. His answer was the only answer that can be given.

One of the biggest advantages and disadvantages of the Net is its anonymity. The person you are talking to can be anyone from anywhere. You may think you are talking to a 22 year old beauty from the other side of town, but are really talking to a 50 yr old man from another country. Because of this, one can't assume anything. The only time who and where they are matters is when you want to take things offline. And if you do, you should be very careful about it.

Otherwise just take things at face value and focu on the conversation not the alleged person behind it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2006, 08:06 AM
    no way
    There is no way to really know. The police may search and find out what server is being used, but even then they can be on a public computer at a school or internet café. Also a lot of wireless services allow you to connect onto the internet anywhere you have a signal. I often sit in front of variouis business or even peoples homes and connect to the internet when I am traveling.

So even then they would only find the server I am connected to at that time.

That is the trouble even the police have hunting child pronogophy and illegal activities.

So normally unless they are honest with you, you will not know during a normal chat.

If they are registered with the chat server perhaps having to pay for the service with a credit card, then they will know who it is, but you still may not.

In this world, a lot of people lie about who they are, where they are and what they do. So it is always beware and have little trust on things on face value.
    STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ Posts: 61, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2006, 08:18 AM
    May be
    I'm not sure but apart from asking him there must be some way to know about the place were the person is , not accuately but approximately by knowing his ip address through the mails the person send, etc.
    There is a tracing software which can help you do this. But it does not give u the exact place were the person is, u can search the net for the tracing tools from Google. Hope this will help you

jµ$† $hå®îñg mý kñºwlèdgè :cool:

Jan 7, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ
    im not sure but apart from asking him there must be some way to know about the place were the person is , not accuately but approximately by knowing his ip address through the mails the person send, ect.
    there is a tracing software which can help you do this. but it does not give u the exact place were the person is, u can search the net for the tracing tools from google. hope this will help you
    I'm only satisfied with this ans but I'v trie for such s/w
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Even if you do find some tracing software and know their E-mail address or IP, this WILL NOT give you the information that you are looking for!!

As has been already mentioned the internet is basically annon and so any personnal information you do find is suspect !
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 11:25 AM
    I agree with CurlyBen and Scott. There is no real way to know for sure. Email addresses are very sketchy. For example, one of my web-based email addresses has the server "co.nz" (country New Zealand). I got it because I thought it would be cool to have a New Zealand email. However, I have never been to New Zealand... I live in Canada, on the other side of the world! Sometimes I've used my New Zealand addy in profiles and people think I am in New Zealand and don't believe me when I say I'm in Canada.

Jan 7, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Wel umm
    My ques was clear to you or not? I asked whether v can find their location (country/city/add) it means anyone of them
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ
    im not sure but apart from asking him there must be some way to know about the place were the person is , not accuately but approximately by knowing his ip address through the mails the person send, ect.
    Stranger of your dreamz mentions emails as a way of locating someone. I was commenting on that point, saying that it's not very accurate.

You needn't be so rude to us... we are just trying to help you, and we do this on our free time. And Scott and CurlyBen really know what they're talking about.
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 11:31 AM
    It doesn't matter if your question was clear or not the answer is still the same.
    On IP address, mine routes through Holland, my e-mail is a .COM, (based in USA)as well as .PL and .IT even a .DE and I "say" that I come from the UK.
    So where do I come from??

There is no need to get all up tight because the answer you have received don't agree with what you think.
    After all that is why we ask question, TO LEARN.

Jan 7, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Not rude
    I was'nt rude man!
    I was repeating ques!
    I'm sorry if I hurt your emotions!
    K
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 11:38 AM
    And I have answered it MORE than once !

Please refer to THIS THREAD
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2006, 11:49 AM
    Simple
    NO there is no way,
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2006, 11:50 AM
    http://www.safer-internet.net/noadults/en/chat_2.asp

Do a whois on the IP to get the ISP and you have a location.
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    http://www.safer-internet.net/noadults/en/chat_2.asp

Do a whois on the IP to get the ISP and you have a location.
    Interesting mine still shows as Holland ;)
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 7, 2006, 12:33 PM
    ISP's
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Interesting mine still shows as Holland ;)
    LoL don't let me guess your on Wanadoo! If so its correct you will show as based in Holland on the search. You can get the ISP address on IM but your not going to be able to do anything other than see where the ISP is based.

Simple answer is NO ! You can not find a persons country, house number, or any of there personal info as this is a breach of the data protection act that all Euro companys have to up-hold. (( Other countrys please let me know if you have something like this that protects your personal data ))

I worked for a ISP some time ago, and only they can tell whom you are by looking at your Client IP address, say someone keeps sending you nasty emails and you go to the police, they can only trace the ISP -- the police then have to call or fax the ISP to provide the details of that said person... Not even they can see someone straight off.

Orange was also correct you can trace details from emails be seeing where it came from to where it ended up! But this is along winded process and you would really need to know what you where doing.:D

Also people have to see that in this day and age, you can also use a system called gost IP which means that you connect to the net over a massive network from all different countrys, say I'm based in the UK it would show me in USA then direct me to Russia, then Jamaica so on and then with that you ain't got a chance in Hell of finding unless you're a law agency and even then it would take them so months to go over the web.
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Wanadoo LOL, nice try NwsFlasH but nope ;)
    Fancy double or quits :)

The bit with the E-mails isn't really true as webmail would look like it has come from the servers country of location and not from the person sending it.
    As I said I have numerous mail addys and they won't show you where I live.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Artificial person vs. Natural person? [ 9 Answers ]

How would the court deal with a natural person vs, artificial person? By definition a artificial person is a corporation (strawman) which the court would have jurisdication. How does the court deal with a natural person, a human being? How does the court obtain jurisdication over a human being? ...

Chatting client ban. What to do for chat? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear all, In my office chatting on other than company people not allowed. But, in some case if I need to chat with some friends for necessary stuff I want some Java chatting site address if someone knows please. Help me giving address of that chatting site addresses... Thanks !

Ok So I am a cat person, with questions... [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I actually got some questions... On Mother's Day, a young stray female that was hanging around and my wife brought in a week or so earlier, had four kittens. I added a couple of pictures of the kids, they are cute little boogers. The tan are both male, and the grays are...

Is there way to access the computer of(the person you are chatting with) ,while chat? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, My question is ,Is it possible to gain access to the computer( the person you are chatting with) ,while in a chat.. If it's really possible then how? I just want 2 gain access to my friends PC , while on a chat conversation.. Please help with this... I have learnt about...

Will I have kids with this person? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know if I would have kids with this person. My name is Tishanna 9/17/1978 Dwayne 12/26/76 Thanks

View more questions Search