Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2006, 09:21 PM
    Tub drain gurgle
    I had previously posted a question regarding a "sewage or septic" odor in my downstairs bathroom. Tonight when using the toilet and flushing, I noticed a gurgle / belch coming from the bathtub drain, which I had not noticed or heard before. Is this a condition that may be related to the odor issue? I would assume these items are related, and possibly both vent related. Any opinions or suggestions?
    Martin Harrison Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2006, 01:07 AM
    Gurgle
    Hi,

What's happening here is when you flush the toilet the plug of water that goes down the pipe is pulling or syphoning the water from your tub trap, if the trap is empty the odours will release from the trap.
    Check for a blocked vent.

M
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Bubble Vs, Belch
    "Tonight when using the toilet and flushing, I noticed a gurgle / belch coming from the bathtub drain,"

"Bubbles" and "Gurgles". They are both indicters that something's going on in your drainage system.
    A "bubble" indicates a clogged line while a "gurgle" indicates a blocked vent. Let me explain. When you flush the discharge drains down the pipe until it hits a partial clog. Then it rebounds back sending a "bubble",(belch) of air ahead of it. You can smell sewer gas when the belch pushes through the trap seal.
    When you flush a toilet or drain a bathtub a suction is created by the water rushing down the pipe. This suction is relieved by a open pipe that runs to the outside called a vent. When a vent's stopped up the suction has to relieve itself somewhere, in this case your toilet. The noise you hear is the air being pulled through the trap by suction, (gurgle).

Martin gave you a excellent description of a gurgle and what to do about it
    Now let me tell you what to do about a belch of sewer gas. To clear the drain line you must snake out the drain from the roof vent. Another way to clear the drainwould be to remove the chrome plate on the tub waste and overflow and snake through the open hole. Good luck, Tom
    Martin Harrison Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Hey Tom

Would you say a gurgle was an intake of air, say caused by a vacuum and a bubble was a release of air caused by a build up in pressure.
    I never really took time to differentiate but thanks for pointing this out.

m

Hey Tom,

I just read your post again and I've,e answered my own question, a gurgle = blocked vent- plug of water causing a vacuum.
    Bubble = blocked pipe- extra water introduced, causing pressure increase.
    Best regards,
    M.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 9, 2006, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Harrison
    Hey Tom,

I just read your post again and iv,e answered my own question, a gurgle = blocked vent- plug of water causing a vacuum.
    Bubble = blocked pipe- extra water introduced, causing pressure increase.
    Best regards,
    M.
    You got it my friend. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sump pump makes sink gurgle [ 5 Answers ]

When the sump pump runs the sink in the bathroom gurgles. I've read enough of the related postings and have had past experience to believe that it's a venting issue. I am wondering what would be the simplest solution. We've had this problem in the past, but after re-decorating the bathroom and...

Tub draining causes toilets to gurgle [ 1 Answers ]

Have a issue with drainage. Live in East Tenn with high clay. This is the problem... family of five. When it's bed time and bath tub is half full, drainage causes both toilets to gurgle. House bought 2 yrs ago built 1978 (had 2 people living in it ) and everything was great until last NOV. when the...

Laundy tub gurgle with toilet flush [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, my problem is when the toilet is flushed there is a gurgle heard from the basement laundry tub about 5 or so seconds after the flush is started. This was happening intermittently for a few months, but now it is constant. There is also water splashing from the drain in the laundry tub. ...

Toilet Gurgle [ 11 Answers ]

House is about 1.5 yrs old + connected to City Sewer system. When up stairs washing machine drains, we get gurgling + suds in downstairs toilet bowl (just beneath it). No other drains are problem. Only gurgles when upstairs washer drains from full load with suds (does not happen when just try it...

Kithen sink gurgle [ 3 Answers ]

I've read from other posts that this is a venting problem, but I'm not sure how to resolve this problem. When the sump pump runs, the kitchen sink gurgles, and we get a sewer gas smell. Do I need to check the vent on the roof? If so, how do I do that? Do I need the kithcen line snaked? What exactly...

View more questions Search