Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmanwarren Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Water heater running time
    My power company uses 90 hours for average monthly running time for figuring monthly cost.I don't know for sure but believe basing this on family of four.Now I know might be hard to know being so many factors to figure in.I live alone and hot water consumption is one shower a day.Laundry I do outside the home and no dishes for always outside the home so hardly ever eat at home.Could someone or does someone have opionon on running time of water heaters.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2006, 07:55 AM
    You realize, of course, this will in no way be accurate but I'll give it a shot any way. If a family of 4 uses uses 90 gallons then 1 person would use 22 1/2 hours. Factor in your shower and a few dishes a day this would seem to fit your profile. Cheers, Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2006, 01:44 PM
    Water heater
    Unless I am also missing something in the question, that would cover water usage as for as how much you run hot water though it.

Both electric and gas standard water heaters keep the water hot continiously, so even if you never ever used any hot water the hot water tank will continue to turn itself off and on. As the water in the tank cools, it will turn itself back on heating the water. Turn itself off and then continue to cycle off and on, off and on all day and all night keeping the water at a set temperature

If you wish to save operating cost set it at a lower temp level. At our church we just have ours turned off since we don't really have to have hot water
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jan 7, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lmanwarren
    My power company uses 90 hours for average monthly running time for figuring monthly cost.I don't know for sure but believe basing this on family of four.Now I know might be hard to know being so many factors to figure in.I live alone and hot water consumption is one shower a day.Laundry I do outside the home and no dishes for always outside the home so hardly ever eat at home.Could someone or does someone have opionon on running time of water heaters.
    giving 90hr is an incomplete information... instead they should have tell you how many kilowatt you could use per month... because if you have a large water boiler ( larger heater) than your hour would be a lot less than the smalll boiler... how much electricity the boiler could use is depend on the raise in temperature of the water and its quantity... 1 kilowatt=== 3410 BTU... 1 gallon== 8.33 pound... to raise the temp of 1pound of water for 1 F it need 1btu
    lmanwarren Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2006, 02:21 AM
    Well see I have to pick up a new water heater.My hot water use is one shower a day.I do clothes outside the house and eat 99% of the time outside the house so no dishes to do.I live alone and was thinking of a small water heater so to avoid keeping mass amounts of water hot when I might use 15-20 gallon a day.Read my post https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=16621
    My power company has a energy use guide on their site that list pretty much everything you find in the average home and the energy used.For example it list a dryer and it claims so many loads a month would cost x amount of dollars in electric a month.Well when you get to the water heater it says x amount of dollars a month and that is at a running time of 90 hours a month.Now I have no idea what they base this on or even if close to what it really would be.I know even if no hot water being used its running to keep the water hot.Now in my situation one shower a day is all the hot water I use.In my other post I was looking for the best way to go as far as keeping cost low.I was looking at a 20 gallon 110 water heater because I take my shower and even if it takes longer to heat by the next day well regardless I will have hot water.I posted here in hopes maybe someone in the know would have a idea of running time of a water heater.Yes if no hot water being used well its going to be less then if hot water being used all day.I ddn't know if there was info some place that maybe said with no hot water being used to hold the temp it would run x amount of hours a month.Then I could say a shower a day would add say so many hours a day or month to get a ballpark figure on monthly operating cost.Now in my other post you will see trying to come up with the lowest cost per month.See I don't like the idea of keeping mass amounts of water hot that would cover a family of 4 when its only me and a shower a day is it.I went to home depot and they have a 20 gallon 110 model and I said that would be ideal.My sister said I was crazy if I went to 110 because she had a 110 dryer and drove the bill through the roof.I also stopped at Lowe's and they have a 28 gallon whirlpool.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Heater on all the time [ 2 Answers ]

OK so here's the deal my wife wakes up this morning and calls me I'm in korea.. tell me the heater in our house 18 months old will not shutoff no matter what temp its set to or if its off/cool/auto so she shuts the breaker off in the house.. or unit has the outside unit and the other half in the...

Heater won't stop running [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Frifidaire central heating & air conditioning system 2 years old. Today we set thermostat to cool and the heater continues to run and will not shut off by thermostat control. Pulled the thermostat and heat continues to run. Currently off as I switched off the breaker at the outside unit....

Water won't stop running [ 3 Answers ]

Changed the stems and the cold water works fine but I can not get the hot water to stop running. I have the handle turned off completely and it runs like I have it wide open. Please help us as soon as possible

View more questions Search