Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nict1130 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Sulfur smell when doing laundry.
    There's been a strong smell of sulfur, whenever we do laundry in the basement of our 3 story home.
    Now I'm smelling it when the dishwasher runs.
    Is there some kind of "flush" they can do for a whole house?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 06:37 PM
    You may have a bad scraficial anode rod in your water heater. It is also possible for a bacteria to start growing inside your water heater requiring a chlorination rinse. I'd check the anode rod first. It's the plug on top of the heater but remember to shut off the fuel supply and then the fresh water incoming to the tank, open a hot faucet somewhere. You need a good socket wrench to remove the anode and it may be helpful for a large friend to be hugging the tank so it doesn't try to turn on you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sulfur smell from shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I have gone through a long and painful process redoing a downstairs bathroom. We are quite close to being completed... However, now we seem to have a fairly strong smell of sulfur in the bathroom - appearing to be coming up from the shower drain. This particular bathroom has not...

Sulfur smell from Shower [ 1 Answers ]

The master bath has a strong sulfur smell when we run the shower. When we use the other bathroom there is no smell. We isolated it to the shower drain. Thanks Deb

Methane/sulfur smell near shower [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased our house about a year ago and since we have moved in we have had a sulfur "rotten egg" smell in the shower of one bathroom. All other areas are fine. We turned up the hot water heater temperature and that helped although it is still there. In the last few weeks I have noticed...

Sulfur smell from ac vents [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into a new home about 2 years ago. About 3 months ago I started smelling a faint smell of sulfur and in the last month it has gotten much worse. I thought maybe an animal had gotten into the attic. I inspected the roof and all overhangs as well as the inside of the house and no where...

Smell of sulfur whan hot water is turned on [ 7 Answers ]

I am doing this for a friend so I'll get the info as quick as I can. I believe he only smells the sulfur when the hot water is running not the cold. What could this be a sign of? (no its not hell on earth :p )

View more questions Search