Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lenchen Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Interest in foreign savings - how to report on 1040 Schedule B?
    Do I have to enter the calculated dollar amount on the line "taxable interest" in the 1040 Schedule B?
    Would it be right just to put the name of the bank there and calculated dollar amount or is is a wrong form for this pupose? I couldn't find any other place I could possibly fill it in...

Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Wish I knew the answer to this one. Maybe you could ask Chaney?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Put the bank name and the calculated interest on Schedule B.

That should suffice, since the IRS has NO paper trail from the foreign bank to validate your figure.

Unless it is a large amount (over $1,000), they will take the figure at face value.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign wages on 1040 [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US in March 2006. I am married. I am choosing to file as resident. On which line of form 1040, should I mention my home country wages for Jan & Feb 2006. These wages are not there on my W2. I am planning to use form 1116 for tax credit.

Converted F-1/OPT to H1-B and have interest earnings on savings acc [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I need help! I've been reading Publications and Form Instructions but am getting more confused by the day. Firstly, this is my current tax situation. Sept 1, 2004 to Aug 2, 2005: F-1 Student Aug 2, 2005 to Aug 2, 2006: F-1/OPT with a non-profit Aug 2, 2006 to present: ...

Pay it Down -- if the interest on the debt is LOWER than the interest on Savings [ 3 Answers ]

I have student loans in the amount of $20000. Through consolidation and never missing a payment I have the interest loan at 2.50% (simple interest). Montly payment is approx $100. I am getting an APY no a Savings account at 4.75%. I have savings around $5K and growing. I need cash for other...

Foreign Tax on you.S. Bank Interest [ 1 Answers ]

To Atlanta Tax Expert Thank You for your response

Do I have to submit all receipts for expenses I claimed on 1040 Schedule C? [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have to submit all receipts for expenses I claimed on 1040 Schedule C? If the answer is yes, should I enclose them, along with 1040 Schedule C and 1040NR, in my tax envelope? Thank you. I am going to continue checking my shoebox of receipts...

View more questions Search