Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deejay88 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 03:52 PM
    Dim Laptop Displays
    This is a fairly common problem. Wondering if it is fixable (w/ out having to spend $300+ on parts and another $100 on labor).

In my case we're dealing with a Toshiba Portege 2000. It boots and operates fine, but the display is extremely dim. Could it be loose connections? Or is the display shot? I'm hoping someone w/ experience can just tell me how to fix it. Myself.

I know only enough about CRT's, LCD's, TFT's, and Plasma to pass industry certification exams (which, as I'm sure many can testify, ain't much). So, I'll need explanations on how to dismantle, repair, and restore the equipment.

Thanks.
    D.J.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Did you try adjusting the brightness controls? Not sure where they are on that machine, your manual should tell you.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 07:15 AM
    Dim display
    Hi, deejay,
    Here is a link:

http://laptops.home.att.net/lcdcross.htm

It might be worth checking out. You might need a new backlight display bulb, around $37 at this site.
    There are other sites also. I am sorry that I don't have experience with installing one of these. But, the site does offer installation suggestions.
    Best of luck.
    deejay88 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 11:09 AM
    I have tried adjusting the brightness controls (Fn+F4 on my system). No results. It is possible that the proper hotkey drivers are not installed, but I seriously doubt this is the problem.

More than likely it's the display. I'll research the backlight possibility. $40 is a whole lot nicer than $300.

Any other thoughts?

Appreciate it.
    D.J.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2006, 11:15 AM
    I had a similar problem with an old Compaq I had and I found it was a probem with the ribbon cable that connects the display to the base. The only way to fix this was a new display as the cable is an integral part.

You could always try Ebay and see if you can find a similar system at a cheap price and canablise it for parts.
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 7, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Is it really really dim, to where you can barely make out the desktop? I had the same problem and had to send it in to change the inverter. The real problem was the backlighting didn't work and that made the whole display dark. Don't know how hard that is to change, but personally I usually end up paying someone to fix my mistakes than the original problem. If you don't try, you ain't going to learn.

Jan 7, 2006, 12:45 PM
    [QUOTE=Curlyben]I had a similar problem with an old Compaq I had and I found it was a probem with the ribbon cable that connects the display to the base. The only way to fix this was a new display as the cable is an integral part.[QUOTE]
    I have a problem with my ribbon cable in a COMPAQ Presario 1260. Took it apart and ran jumper wires through the flex cable. Has worked good for a while, but is now starting to go again if I don't put the display in just the right position.

Jan 7, 2006, 12:52 PM
    By the way, if your going to work on it yourself, might want to go here

http://computerdoc.homestead.com/ToshibaPortege.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IE displays page not found [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to all this and I need some help. My modem has got both lights on so I'm assuming I'm connected to the internet. However when I try to open IE it comes up with page cannot be displayed. I'm using XP. I've checked all my settings in Internet Options. I've tried repairing IE and...

Which laptop [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am Claire, I want a laptop for making home movies and I want to know what is the best one to get. I want good graphics, large memory and very portable. Any advice would be great. Thanks

New laptop [ 6 Answers ]

I just purchased a laptop a couple of months ago. I have been using a dialup to connect to the net. I was wondering if I could use my cell phone to connect by just attaching it to my laptop and dialing out?

Best Laptop for... [ 3 Answers ]

I use Dragon Speaking Naturally, and need at least 500 MHz. I also have a preference for something light, as I travel/write, and word processing is my main desire. I want something with a screen size around 10 or 11 inches. Sound Blaster (clone) is recommended. A (built-in) CDrw/DVD would be...

View more questions Search