Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcovee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2004, 11:19 AM
    economics of crime (benefits?)
    Dear Experts,

Thanks for your time.

I have a theory I'm developing for a chapter in a book I've written. The protagonist rationalizes a murder he is about to commit though cost benefit analysis. Mainly crime and human fault create jobs to a certain degree. Too much crime is never good for a community/neighborhood, but isolated instances provide jobs for journalists/newsstands/security agencies/lawyers/police etc... I argue, for instance, that computer viruses in small doses keep IT professionals employed. Obviously, a major attack could damage a company, but a few extra salaries needed to counteract minor virus attacks are easily absorbed.

What can the detractors say? What arguments would you have against this theory? My devil's advocate says a company increases efficiency if it doesn't have to carry a large IT department. Where would this money go? The stock value increases, making shareholders richer, however these people are the wealthiest of society who don't need the money. This would call upon the principals of trickle down economics where the shareholder upon selling shares might use this money to go on vacation for instance. However this only contributes to the service economy rather than government and white-collar industries where labor is more fully employed.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Marc
    viking Posts: 131, Reputation: 7

Apr 26, 2004, 12:47 PM
    Economics of crime (benefits?)
    The first question that springs to mind for me is whether the resources are being deployed in the most efficient manner and towards the greatest need. Yes it is good to have high employment, but suppose we blew up a city with a nuclear bomb and the cleanup effort required thousands of people to perform manual labor. Would that be a good use of our resources? Let's not even measure the destruciton that the bomb would bring but only consider how worthwhile the employment of those involved in the cleanup would be?

Perhaps, we are at the peak of the learning curve in IT and the returns are minimal. Perhaps we can create jobs through productive instead of destructive (computer viruses) means?
    neilio42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 12:58 PM
    The economic principle you are missing is the production curve. Theoretically, if we did not have to police ourselves as a community, we good put our efforts towards more productive good. Think what you could do with a computer if no viruses or hackers existed. The computer would run a bit faster, for one, if it didn't have to scan for viruses. The production curve of the computer would be that much faster. And this is only a simple instance. Demand would be higher if no crime existed. Things would be cheaper if security wasn't part of the price of a good.

Interesting argument, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friends with benefits? [ 20 Answers ]

Over the last couple months I have been in a rollercoaster relationship with my ex. After about 6 weeks separated we decided to give it another try and it was barely a week together until she decided she needed more time. We decided to take a break for the summer and see how we felt in a while....

Is it a crime? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm really curious, recently, my parents threw me out. (actually about 5 times in the last year). Right now I'm only 17. 4 of the times they threw me out, they didn't provide a place for me to live. Their lawyer told them they didn't have to let me stay there once I was 16. Is this true?

Treaty tax benefits [ 3 Answers ]

This is really a great form. Thanks for answering all my questions. I was reading through some messages and came to know that I did a mistake while filing 2004 year returns. Here is my case: I came to US on H1 in 2003 and stayed for 257 days and filed my 2003 returns as Resident alien. I stayed...

401K Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid off from his job due to downsizing in April of 2005. He had been with the company for a little over 4.5 years. We recently received a notification in the mail that the company had taken back all of their matched contributions to his 401K. Is this legal?

View more questions Search