Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roca Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Fluorescent light trouble
    I'm a newby, and I recently added 2 fluorescent ceiling lights in the garage. I'd like to know what would cause both lights to go out when the weather is cold, and both to come back on when it warms up? Thanks!
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Jan 6, 2006, 03:47 PM
    I have two eight foot fluorescent fixtures in my unheated garage and when the temperatue gets low they buzz and flicker until they warm up. There are special fixtures (Cold weather ballasts) sold to control this, but they cost more and unless you are in the garage for an extended period, it will stop once the temperature rises.
    Roca Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 07:39 PM
    Fluorescent fixtures
    Many thanks! Does this mean that my installation may not be at fault, and that the problem can be remedied by using more expensive lights?. Roca
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2006, 07:41 PM
    I have some conventional fluorescent lights in unheated areas. Usually they come on when it is cold, but it takes a while. If you need the light, check out Dave's cold weather ballasts. If you need a lot of light, you could look at sodium vapor or metal halide fixtures. Good light output per watt and work in cold weather. Trouble is, they are slow to come on even when it is warm. Great for exterior lighting.
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Jan 7, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Lights with electronic ballast aren't affected by the cold weather and they aren't that expensive

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

Why is my fan fluorescent light bulb flickering? [ 2 Answers ]

10:25 AM 2/13/2006 I recently installed a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan w/florescent light kit. To control the fan and light I installed a remote switch manufactured by the same company, Harbor Breeze. The problem I am having is the fluorescent light is constantly flickering, whether the fan is...

Trouble wiring ceiling fan to light! [ 2 Answers ]

Novice here.. But I've done this before but can't get it rite this time.. URG... Have to replace the chain on ceiling fan.. fan works fine but no lite.. removed old chain but can't seem to get wires wired rite and can't get the lites to work.. The white wires are all set but don't know which of...

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

View more questions Search