Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdjclimbice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Sewer line depth? Clean out spacing?
    I'm building a house in Austin and was wondering if someone can tell me the depth a sewer line has to be buried per code... I believe it's 18" but wanted to check. And how far do the clean-outs need to be spaced for a long run from the house to the sewer tap? 100 ft?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 03:52 PM
    I don't actually know of any requirements in terms of depth inside a residential home... I mean, you need to be sure that at the highest point in the installation of your underground piping you have a good 3-6" minimum of clean fill and that no pipe ends up in the concrete itself. Unless one of the other guys knows for sure, I would have to recommend that you call your local plumbing inspector (or surrounding town) and ask him.

In terms of cleanouts, as plumbers we are only required to install a cleanout on the run of the sewer main line as it enters the building...then we are required to add cleanouts at accessible changes of direction, at the base of any waste stack, every 50 feet (3" or less), every 100 feet (4" and larger pipe), under sinks, etc.

No cleanout are required outside the home after that... I mean, I think they call those cleanout manholes!! Hey let me know if this helped!!

If this helped please RATE MY ANSWER BELOW! Thank you
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Actually, massplumber2008, in many - if not all - areas, you are required to add one non-manhole cleanout outside the house - within 18 inches or so of the foundation, I believe.

Hope this helps,
    Moishe
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Palm mp3... I did not know that. Not so in Massachusetts or Maine ( my two licenses)... but that is why this place is so great... huh.. Wonder what state rdjclimbice is in.. I am still new to this and did forget to ask him what state he was in... *learning*... thank you.

Jan 14, 2008, 06:26 PM
    No problem, massplumber2008. It's great to have you helping us answer questions here on the plumbing page. I really mean it! :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Moishe, can you document this statement "you are required to add one non-manhole cleanout outside the house "?

Jan 14, 2008, 09:11 PM
    Sure! My "plumbing mentor", Tom (a.k.a. speedball1), who has over 50 years of plumbing experience, has mentioned it on many occasions. Here's one example:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...tml#post201434

Jan 14, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Wonder what state rdjclimbice is in...? I am still new to this and did forget to ask him what state he was in...
    Ummmm... if you look at the asker's original post, it says "I'm building a house in Austin". Kind of gives away that the situation in question is in Texas, no? ;)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Hey Moishe and Ballengerb1... you guys picking on me.. I mean c'mon now... cut the new guy some slack... *smirk*.

Hey... are you guys suggesting that that 18" requirement is required in all states.. If so, and not to doubt you guys, I just wanted to check my codebook... seems I may have missed that one. Let me know please.

And Moishe.. you are right... I mean... I glazed over that AUSTIN thing... huh.. I guess I got all excited trying to answer this guys question!

I appreciate all you guys checking on us... never would claim to know everything... I've learned a few things here in the few short days I have been here already... really enjoying it myself... Thanks for the nice greetings all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

We phoned Roto Rooter to clean our sewer line [ 4 Answers ]

Its been since May our toilet has been very sluggish, and the other day we made up our mind to have them clean out our sewer line (Roto Rooter) tomorrow morning. What really scares me is a house across the street just had their sewer line dug up and replaced. Oh Lord, I hope it doesn't come to...

Sewer Clean Out [ 2 Answers ]

How do i go about locating the sewer clean out?

Line spacing between paragraphs in Word [ 3 Answers ]

I am typing a paper and all of a sudden 10 pages into the paper the line spacing between paragraphs changed. I am using double space throughout the paper, but now it is skipping a double space and then two lines between paragraphs. So it is leaving a gap rather than just two spaces. I have gone...

Depth below slab surface of sewer rough? [ 1 Answers ]

Speedball or anyone who knows, We are trying to design and build a small pool house that will have a bathroom and some kitchen fixtures. Question I have: To figure out the slab elevation (height), what is the vertical depth below the slab surface that the sewer rough piping must be installed...

View more questions Search