Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanababy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Charged off accounts on credit record
    I may be incorrect, but I was told that if you do not pay a credit card for 7 years without filing for bankruptcy, they can no longer hold it against you on your credit report... (bankruptcy is 10 years)... My question is this--if the credit card company does a "charge off" and sells your debt to another company--does that 7 year gap restart? Or is it 7 years from the origianl credit agency?? I looked into bankruptcy several years ago--and the lawyer told me this information...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shanababy
    I may be incorrect, but i was told that if you do not pay a credit card for 7 years without filing for bankruptcy, they can no longer hold it against you on your credit report....(bankruptcy is 10 years).... My question is this--if the credit card company does a "charge off" and sells your debt to another company--does that 7 year gap restart? or is it 7 years from the origianl credit agency???? i looked into bankruptcy several years ago--and the lawyer told me this information....
    I've seen unpaid accounts on credit reports for 10 years - don't know if this is the norm but I've seen it.

My understanding is that if you check your credit report it will list the last activity on the account; that is when the Statute begins to run - and it varies from State to State. It's not from the date of the debt; it's from the last activity in the account. Your last payment is the date the statute began to run.

Are you asking if the debt will still appear on your credit report or if the creditor can still attempt to collect?

T
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2008, 11:04 AM
    There is a common misconception about what a charge off means. Charging or writing off a debt is simply a tax maneuver. The company takes a loss against their income. It has NO bearing on the debtor's obligation to pay that debt, which never expires. Its true that old debt can be pruged from your report unless its reported by the creditor.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Hello again, shana:

Irrespective of when it's supposed to come off, I'd challenge it NOW. The worst that can happen is that it stays on. The best is that it comes off.

I'd get a copy of my credit reports. All three bureaus don't report the SAME debts, so get ALL three. Accompanying your reports, will be a form you can use to challenge incorrect information. Use that form.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journalize entries to record Allowance for doubtful accounts [ 3 Answers ]

How would you journalize entries to record allowance for doubtful accounts using two different bases. The ledger of Elburn company at the end of the current year shows accounts receivalbe $110,000, Sales $840,000 and salaes Revenue and allowances $28,000. If Elburn uses the direct write-off...

Charged off credit card [ 3 Answers ]

My husband has been summoned to what is either a pre hearing or mediation for a master card that shows on his credit report that it is charged off. The letter also show that had reach some sort of mediation in August of 2007. We have no knowledge. We want to know how to proceed and do we need a...

Journalize entries to record allowance for doubtful accounts [ 1 Answers ]

How would you journalize entries to record allowance for doubtful accounts debit credit accounts recv. 520,000 all for uncollect. Accts 300 ...

Record of Allowance for Doubtful Accounts entry [ 3 Answers ]

If a firm discovers that one of its accounts totaling $350 should be written off as uncollectible, if using an aging of receivables, the firm determines that the ending balance of the Allowance for Doubtful Accounts should be ($1,000). I'm also given that these is already $828 in Allowance for...

View more questions Search