Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JJK Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Circuit breaker installation
    Hello,
    I'm attempting to do something that I've never tried before, Install a breaker switch. I'm using 12 Gauge wire and a 20 amp breaker switch. I definitely need some guidance in this. Is there anybody out there who can help me?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Do you mean a breaker in a breaker box (service panel)?

If so, have you already removed the cover to be sure there's space?

With the main breaker OFF:

Pull the wire into the box and attach the white one to the bar where all the other white ones are attached (anywhere is fine).

Put the black wire into the breaker and screw in the set screw that holds it in place. Not quite as tight as you can... but TIGHT.

Give it some good pulls to be sure it's not moving at all.

Now, getting the breaker in is a little different for different box types, but most will have you "tipping" the corner in, then pushing the breaker down onto a piece of metal where the connection is made.

Finally, you may need to punch out a piece of metal in the cover that allows the new breaker to stick through - before putting it back on.

Does this all make sense when looking at your breaker box and where you want to put the new breaker?

Jan 6, 2006, 11:12 AM
    Thank you for your reply!:) It describes my breaker box to a "T", I'll take your advice and go for it. What's the best way to punch out that metal plate that enables me to insert the breaker switch? Also, Do I have to shut off the main breaker switch to accomplish this? I was told by a friend of mine that all that I would need to do was keep the breaker switch in the off position.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Look at your panel before taking the cover off. It should be quite apparent looking at the cover whether there are extra slots. If there aren't, don't give up. There are double or half size breakers that can use one buss connection for 2 circuits. Do not confuse them with the double pole breakers used for 240 that use a connection to each buss. Neither will do the other's job. Your panel should give the type of breakers that will work in it, mine take GE type TQP, TQL, etc. Some other brands may fit different boxes.

Bear in mind, once you have the cover off, even with the main breaker off, you have the hot wire out to the pole exposed. Plenty of juice there to kill you. Inside the breaker box is close to where a DIY should quit. I have changed and added several breakers including the circuit doubling ones. As the others said, pull the wire in. Again, one slip can put you in contact for the shock of your life. With the main breaker on, the buss bars the length of the box are hot. With it off, only the ends of the main wires are hot. Secure it with a clamp. Newer boxes have a separate block for the white neutral and the bare ground wire. With the breaker in the off position, tighten the screw down on the stripped end of the black wire, and clip the breaker on to the buss. Wiggle it around and make sure it is seated OK.

Opening the slot should be not problem, a hammer and a screwdriver or punch. Usually they are only held in one little place. Hit the other end and bend it and it should break off

Jan 6, 2006, 12:16 PM
    Thanks labman for your help also, I'm really happy I discovered this site.:D ! Seems to me I can get a lot of questions answered at this site. I've already listed it in my favorites column for quick easy reference in the future. Thanks for your help again!
    bz07b8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JJK
    Hello,
    I'm attempting to do something that I've never tried before, Install a breaker switch. I'm using 12 Guage wire and a 20 amp breaker switch. I definitely need some guidance in this. Is there anybody out there who can help me?
    Easy if you got a switch below your meter...

Installing A Circuit Breaker

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker [ 3 Answers ]

A circuit breaker connected to the kitchen tripped twice. I had an electrician in but the problem persists - in fact, the very day the electrician came. It does not seem to be caused by any one particular appliance. The first time I was using the waste disposal and the next two times nothing was...

Circuit Breaker Won't Switch To On [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'd appreciate anyone's advice. Today, I realized that one of my condensing units isn't working properly. So I was turning the breakers to both the A/C downstair and upstair units on and off periodically during the day to figure out the problem. Nothing has been solved on that end, but...

Circuit breaker popping [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new refrigerator and the circuit braker for the air conditioning keeps popping. We live in Central FL by Daytona and it is really hot right now but we can't keep the air running. Help!!

Circuit breaker double posting [ 3 Answers ]

Is it ever OK to have a double posting in an electrical/ circuit breaker box? If so. When? Thanks for your help.

Circuit Breaker Troubleshooting [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased an old farm with a water well. It was checked last summer with the pump company's pump (I assume they used their pump because there was no power at the property then) and it pumped well (15 gpm). Now I have electricity and tried to power up the pump. The fuses are the old...

View more questions Search