Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apierce14 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmonsteruk1 View Post
    Is your toilet fed by the mains or from a tank? If its fed from the mains it should have a flow regulator inserted into the pipe which connects to the ball valve assembly.

that is usually the problem with noise after a flush! If you find another solution please let me know as i am curious to find a solution to that

[email protected]
    Thank you all! I replaced the floating ball thing with a fluidmaster 400a and it fixed my shaking pipe problem... I'm like a home plumber - haha! Thank you so much again... I 'm so happy!:):)
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 03:09 PM

I am glad your problem is resolved and it is my pleasure to help and thanks for keeping us in the loop, good luck.

Regards,
    John
    t1nkrbel65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 12:57 PM
    Name:  DSCN0282.jpg
Views: 4032
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0287.jpg
Views: 3815
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0286.jpg
Views: 4071
Size:  38.3 KB
    Help! I believe I have the same problem... as the tank is filling (more than 1/2 full), the most horrible noise is being made - pipes rattling and all... it's awful. This is a new toilet and so, I tried to follow the diagram about loosening the "cap" but I'm just not figuring it out. Here's what it looks like - can someone explain to me what I should be loosening and how? Sorry I'm a dope...
    tolsti Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by t1nkrbel65 View Post
    Name:  DSCN0282.jpg
Views: 4032
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0287.jpg
Views: 3815
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0286.jpg
Views: 4071
Size:  38.3 KB
    Help! I believe I have the same problem...as the tank is filling (more than 1/2 full), the most horrible noise is being made - pipes rattling and all...it's awful. This is a new toilet and so, I tried to follow the diagram about loosening the "cap" but I'm just not figuring it out. Here's what it looks like - can someone explain to me what I should be loosening and how? Sorry I'm a dope....
    All right, it has been quite a while since I submitted this remedy, but I can still help, I believe. In your first photo, there is a black aparatus on the top of the stem that you have apparently taken off in the subsequent photos. Under that aparatus everything is white, and a lever comes out from the top and connects to the floater. Take that lever and bring it back to loosen it just the tiniest bit. Then, try flushing the toilet to see if it has worked. In my experience, it did work, and I believe I have explained my hypothesis in previous posts (regarding the back pressure, etc.). Now, I just wish it was easier to explain, but when it comes to this stuff I am a dope, too.
    byubrazil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2010, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tolsti View Post
    I know the original asker has probably found some solution or other by this time, but I found the other answers lacking when I had the same problem. So, for anybody else out there coming across this, you might want to try what I did first.

I had the same problem: terrible shaking in the pipes after flushing. Not immediately after, but as the tank was finishing filliing up. Right as the cap or bulb was supposed to shut off the supply, a horrible racket would come from the walls. I could feel it in pipes (when I found a good exposed one). So, instead of installing a water hammer, or taking the walls apart to secure the pipes, or even replacing the fill valve (we have a newer fill valve, with a cup instead of a bulb or ball), I simply loosened the cap the tiniest bit. Maybe an 1/8 of a turn, if even that. I found out that it had become too tight, and the cap was not working properly, because of a disparity in the pressures. By loosening it just a nudge, the cap was able to work properly, the shaking went away, and now everything is fine.

Maybe this won't solve your problem, but it is sure worth the 5 seconds it took me to see if it would work.
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I own a condo and finances have been sooo tight lately. The last week or so I noticed that I had this very same problem. The vibration and the humming noise sounded so scarry. I was afraid I was going to have a very expensive problem to fix.

I googled my question last night and found this website. I printed out the diagram and armed with my screw driver dove into the back of my toilet and turned the screw. To my very releaved/pleasant surpise and many flushes later (to ensure that it was indeed fixed) everything is back to normal. You saved this lady who has no idea about plumbing from stress of the unknown as well from having to spend money on something so simple. Thank you Thank you!!
    need.a.nikkor Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2010, 06:19 PM
    I have been trying to fix this in my house and I have no clue what is going on. The pipes started making noises all of a sudden, so after looking up things on here, I drained all the pipes and recharged the air pockets thinking it may have been water hammer. But that did not work, so then I replaced fill valves in all three toilets with a Fluidmaster 400 but the noise is still there.

I also checked the water pressure and it seems OK. So, some body please help. As mentioned in the above post, I am trying turn the "cap", but I don't know which cap. The "cap" mentioned, is that the water level adjustor? Or is it for something else?

Jul 12, 2010, 06:26 PM
    The Fluidmaster valve that I have looks different from what shown in the picture, hence the confusion on my part.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 13, 2010, 07:00 PM

Start a new post and describe your problem. At this point no one know exactly what kind of problem you have.
    Water hammer is a loud bang that occurs when a fast acting valve, such as a toilet valve or single handle faucet is turned off. Other noises are usually caused by loose washers or a defective pressure regulating valve.

Start a new post and give us your specifics. When does it occur, at one location such as the toilet, or when water is used anywhere. Hot, cold or both?

Jul 14, 2010, 04:10 AM
    Thanks, hkstroud. I will give a quick update here since there's no more noise coming from the pipes.

I flushed the valves of all three Fluidmasters and opened the water supply to the toilet all the way. I also made sure that the main water supply was turned on full all the way. After that I made sure that the water main coming in the house was secure and was not loose.

This helped and there is no more noise when the toilet is flushed and the water is just about to stop.

A heartfelt thanks to everybody who contributed on here since this post really helped.

teejay100000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2010, 01:56 PM
    I had exactly the same problem and solution as tolsti. After a year and a half of trying everything, the problem was solved by slightly turning the cap holding the ball valve.
    sssswwww Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2012, 06:37 PM
    The fix suggested by tolsti worked for me! The terrible noise coming from the pipes have been troubling me a lot. By turning the cap thing a bit counterclockwise, this seems to have solved or at least mitigate the problem. Thanks a lot for sharing this!

By the way. The others' suggestion of replacing the valve could work too and is worth trying out if the above quick fix does not work for you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 5, 2012, 04:54 AM
    Hi S&W and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 4 year old dead thread. Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date in the first post before you post, Thanks,
    Thanks for the update. Glad you're all fixed up. Tom
    brooksbender Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2012, 07:26 AM
    This repair worked so fast and easy I am stunned. My toilet sounded like a contrabassoon when re-filing. I turned the water supply off, took the fill valve apart and found it to be rather scummed up. Cleaned it off, replaced it and that was it. 5 minutes tota,
    I may miss that contrabasooon though, it was rather unique.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 2, 2012, 07:35 AM
    Hi brooksbender and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk. Thanks for the update. If we can ever help in the future all you have to do is ask. Good luck, Tom
    emmohess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2014, 08:27 PM
    THANKS - that's awesome. Slight turn on the cap - a second to fix what we thought was a potentially large problem!! Thanks so much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flush causes bubbling noise in tub [ 12 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, I hear bubbling in the tub drain. No water comes up the tub drain, but I hear bubbling. WHAT IS THIS?? Could this predict a future backup or something? ;)

After I flush the toilet, there's a howling noise. [ 4 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet, there's a howling noise. Sound almost like a fog horn. Sounds like it's coming from the basement. What's wrong?

Humming Noise at End of Toilet Flush [ 3 Answers ]

When we flush the toilet, it makes a loud humming sound toward the end of the flush cycle, as the water fills up. Once the water has filled, the humming stops. What could be causing this, and how do I go about repairing it? Thanks in advance! :confused:

Jackhammer noise after flush? [ 1 Answers ]

I am hearing a jack hammer noise every time I flush a certain toilet in my house. It seems all the pipes are shaking. I do not hear this sound when I flush other toilets in the house. Please advise.

Train noise after flush [ 2 Answers ]

After the water is turned off (like a shower) or the toilet is flushed a load vibration noise comes from the "pipes". It sound like a train is coming... for about 5-10 seconds. I have tried turning on all the water at every location to get any air out of the line, but this has not helped. What...

View more questions Search