sathya_svv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 01:05 AM
    Collections
    What is the main difference between associative arrays and nested tables
    How to choose in pl/sql program

Satya:)
    Ademan Posts: 40, Reputation: 11

Jan 11, 2006, 10:57 PM
    An associative array is just an array that uses anything other than a sequential integer index. IE you could access an associative array using a string, this could be your associative array

key value
    "apple" "foo"
    "oranges" "bar"
    "dan" "baadc0de"
    "cow" "deadbeef"

so, say in php you could access your associative array like so:

MyArray["dan"] and you would get "baadc0de" associative arrays can even have integer indexes (they're called "key"s), but of course, there's no real reason to do that unless you want to skip over certain numbers.

key value
    5 "rawr"
    2 "kitty"
    9 "idaho"
    264 "i am the master"

obviously there's no reason on making a normal array that would take up 265 * sizeof(void *) when all you need is a small array that holds 4 * sizeof(void *)

and your question about nested tables vs associative arrays

in essence a table IS an associative array. A nested table is a table stored inside another table... totally different.

cheers (hope that helped, and admittedly I'm no db expert so a second opinion might serve you well, but I did Google the nested table stuff, since I wasn't sure about that, however I'm positive about the associative array stuff... and their relation to tables)
    -Dan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Procedures for US collections [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone let me know if a US collection agency must follow Ontario Canada procedures if trying to collect from a Canadian citizen living in Ontario?

Because collections [ 2 Answers ]

What is the longest that a debt collector has to collect on a loan in BC? What kinds of bearing does the statute of limitations have on this?

Collections confusion [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Sears MasterCard, I was contacted by Citibank saying due to not making payments they need to full amount paid now.. I tried to work something out, but it was full amount or nothing. I sent 200 dollars right away. 2 day's after Citibank called I received another call from a collections co....

Collections [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Utah. I have a hospital debt that is large enough that I cannot pay what the hospital wants me to pay each month and they have advised me that it will go to a collection agency. My Question is: "If i make the monthly payments i can afford to the collection agency, can they still...

View more questions Search