Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmrm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Taxes on 401K rollover
    I will be rolling my 401K pretax dollars into an IRA. How and when will I be taxed?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 09:34 PM
    No tax is due if you had the 401K custodian roll it over directly to the IRS without YOU ever touching the money. You will get a Form 1099-R for the rollover, and the rollover DOES have to be reported on your 2007 tax return, but NO taxes are due.

If you HANDLED the money, I need to know if you opened the IRA within 60 days of the date on the disbursement check. Did you?
    pmrm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 03:40 AM
    I have not handled the money. The business I worked for has sold. I need to roll the 401K over in February. So nothing has been done yet.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Okay, then FIRST contact the IRA custodian, be it a bank, mutual fund, stock broker, whomever.

Tell them what you plan to do. They will either mail you or have you download from their website an IRA Rollover Package. It should include an authorization form for THEM to contact the 401K custodian to arrange for the custodian-to-custodian transfer of assets. You will need to complete and sign that authorization form, and either fax or mail it to the IRA custodian.

Once the IRA custodian has that authorization form, then they should do whatever else has to be done. It may take awhile (two months is not unusual), but it WILL get done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Previous job sent 401k rollover, with taxes taken out [ 2 Answers ]

I left my job and started a new job. I wanted to receive my 401k funds and roll them over to another 401k. I received the check and it had taxes taken out. I call the company and was told the information my HR rep told me was incorrect and my funds were considered a distribution rather than a...

401K Rollover Check [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the penalties for depositing a 401k rollover check into my personal checking account that I was suppose to give to my new 401k company? Will my previous 401k company track where the check is deposited? Thanks.

401K Rollover Fees [ 1 Answers ]

Are 401K Rollover fees tax deductable?

Taxes on RollOver 401K account Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 29yrs Old and have $104K in a Rollover Account. I am buying my 1st home and would like to put down 20% and wanted to know if I took out $60K from my account WHAT WOULD I ACUTALLY GET AFTER TAXES ETC?

401K rollover problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 401K and quit to work for another company which doesn't offer 401K, I tried calling my former employer several times to roll my 401K into an investment of my choice but my former employer refused my phone calls, has since been sold to another company and now my 401K has rolled over into...

View more questions Search