Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Hayward H150 Pool heater
    Hello - all,

My son and I are trying to get an H150, back on-line. Jim does the gas work, I watch over his shoulder and annoy him.

Any way, All of the switches in the array on the inside panel have been replaced. The pilot light is lit, however, the main gas flow does not kick in to allow the heater to heat the influx of water.

Four of the switches are normally closed switches. One switch, however, the pressure switch looks as if it is a normally closed switch held open.

How do I get this unit functional before the customer's "Coy" fish tanks get too cold to keep the fish alive.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Hey Don, just want to be sure I have read correctly. Customer is using a pool heater on a Coy pond? In my neck of the woods we use a 120v floating puck heater like farmers use in their watering troughs. It only kicks on when the temp is below 32. Can't be off any help with your actual question, sorry.
    Bob

Jan 14, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Bob,

Here in Virginia Beach, It can still 70 on Monday and 30 on Tuesday.

I'm starting to think that it's either a thermostat problem OR the water is being held a temperature higher then the H150's thermostat will go.

If the water is a 60 and the thermostat only go up to 55, it will never turn on. So, I need to jump the thermostat and hot wire the unit to get it to come on.

Lord knows I like a challenge that makes me think.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 10:24 AM
    The reason I was asking is we usually only heat the water so it doesn't freeze, that keeps the coy alive. We never try to keep the temp up to room temp. It just isn't need to keep Coy healthy. It could be that your water temp is already too high for the upper limt of your stat, like you suspect.

Bob
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Jan 14, 2008, 12:06 PM
    The pressure switch has oil in it where the copper tube meets the switch it should come apart if there's not enough oil in copper tube it won't come on that's what makes the switch work. You can take it apart and add 50 grade oil with a small syringe you push the oil into the tube and then put it together quickly not to loose oil, it doesn't take much oil, I do it every spring before I start my pool up. Because before winter I have to take it apart so if there was any water in it , it wouldn't ruin the switch if the water froze in it.

Jan 14, 2008, 01:45 PM
    According to my son, Thank you for this gift, Lord," all of the switches are new.

I know that in and by itself being new and working are two very diverse terms.

Is there any way to bypass the kluge of switches just to see if the units light's off?

It would be my pure pleasure to prove that his diagnostic skills can help him resolve a problem that, smashing with a hammer and cursing at can't
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Jan 14, 2008, 08:12 PM
    No way to bypass it that I know of, its sort of a safety switch to prove that you have water flowing through the tubes so you don't burn the heater up witch you would do if you didn't have water flowing through it.
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jan 16, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Bypass the water so that the pool water is passing through the heater. If the pressure switch does not activate, then replace it. It is also worth noting that these heaters come with an adjustable pressure switch for installations at different altitudes ASL. Often this needs to be calibrated slightly and presto - the heater fires.

I hope this information is helpful

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools & Artificial Rock
    Vancouver, BC
    604-421-8429
    1-888-267-0802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing above ground pool propane heater [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a 24 foot circle above ground pool, but find with the shade surrounding the pool, we would like to raise the water temperature approximately 10 degrees. We believe we would like to install a Hayward propane heater. The Adobe instruction manual is available on line for the...

Pool heater [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to heat a pool without going to the trouble of installing a full blown heater? Such as something to put in the pool like a fish tank.

Pool Heater Ignition [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get the pool heater to kick on. Instead of the heater igniting, I am receiving a fault code of “Open Air Pressure Switch” and the SERVICE LED is light. Is this something that I can easily reset or do I need a technician to come out?

View more questions Search