Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pepi Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Hospital plan or
    I need to go for a hip replacement , the medical aid we applied for, has put me on a waiting period for a year. We want to know is there any hospital plan or medical aid that we can join, that will cover the operation in a shorter period than a year. I live in South Africa.
    Eleanora702 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 02:56 PM
    There must be some sort of help out there for you, I too am currently waiting for a hip replacment. I'm not doing it for the fear in inself.. I will assume that money is an issue? If so the hospital is the place to be asking this question, they can assist you in a reduction for your hospital bill and Dr. Bill. I hope all works out for you..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Not really up on medical insurance in south africa, I will assume this is currently through a state medical coverage, But with most insurance, there is nothing you are going to buy NOW, that would pay for something you already need ( pre existing condition) had you bought the insurance before you needed it, then you could have had coverage.

Jan 19, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Well I am not " up on South Africa" medical insurance either sir, but any hospital is willing to take perhaps a lower percentage on what they are supposed to get, instead of not getting anything on their stay, and or surgery..

Jan 19, 2008, 11:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleanora702
    There must be some sort of help out there for you, I too am currently waiting for a hip replacment. I'm not doing it for the fear in inself.. I will assume that money is an issue? If so the hospital is the place to be asking this question, they can assist you in a reduction for your hospital bill and Dr. Bill. I hope all works out for you..
    Hi Eleanora,
    We have spoken to the hospital Social Worker already, on my husbands salary, we have to pay R100,000.00, that is why I asked if there is a medical aid or hospital plan we can jion, even if we must pay x-tra a month.

Jan 19, 2008, 11:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleanora702
    Hi Eleanora,
    We have spoken to the hospital Social Worker already, on my husbands salary, we have to pay R100,000.00, that is why I asked if there is a medical aid or hospital plan we can join, even if we must pay x-tra a month. At least then we are covered for an other illness.

Jan 20, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pepi
    Hi Eleanora,
    We have spoken to the hospital Social Worker already, on my husbands salary, we have to pay R100,000.00, that is why i asked if there is a medical aid or hospital plan we can jion, even if we must pay x-tra a month.

I'm not too sure, but I'll tell you what.. I will check into some of my resources, and I will get back online this afternoon and try to help you guys out.
    No one on GODS earth should have to endure this type of pain. I do it because I have a large family, and my fears won't let me go to the hospital justtttt yet. Give me a few hours OK? Pepi...

Eleanora

Jan 20, 2008, 06:26 AM
    South Africa has an extensive public sector health care system that provides services to approximately 36.5 million people, 80 percent of the population. For participants in this system, health care is virtually free at the point of consumption. Although there is a nominal $3 charge for a physician visit, this fee is almost always waived for those who cannot afford it - and almost everyone who currently uses the system is deemed unable to afford the charge. There is no charge for hospital care.

Like other health care systems around the world that offer free services, South Africa's public system is plagued by continuing problems of nonprice rationing.1 And like other health care systems in which the pressures of democracy affect the allocation of resources, South Africa's public system has been increasingly sacrificing expensive, curative services for the few who need them in order to expand less expensive, primary care services for the vast majority of people.2

THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN ABLE TO FIND AND IT SEEMS AS IF ALTHOUGH YOUR COUNTRY HAS 80% FREE MEDICAL CARE, AND ONLY 20% CAN AFFORD PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE? THEY DO NOT HAVE THE ROOM NOR THE DRS TO DO THE SURGERYS, COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT CITY YOU LIVE IN? THAT WOULD MAKE IT EASIER FOR ME, INSTEAD OF BEING SO GENERAL ADN VAGUE. FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN READING, IT SEEMS AS IF THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT INSURANCE PROGRAMS ALL OVER. AMERICAN TYPE PPOS AND HMOS.. GIVE ME YOUR INFORMATION, NOT HOUSE NUMBER OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. JUST STATE AND CITY..

Jan 20, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Thank you, I would really appreciate it, I know the fear, but we need to have it done, so get yours done so you can have your life back with your family.

Jan 20, 2008, 07:35 AM
    I live in Cape Town South Africa. We have just moved here, the reason why we never had a medical aid was because of my husband working construction, that means work for a couple of months or weeks, then he has to wait for a new contract, and the medical aid want there installment every month.

Jan 20, 2008, 07:37 AM
    What is your city and or providence I need that in order to help you..

Jan 20, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Cape Town, Western Cape

Jan 20, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Thank You..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hospital administration [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I wnted to know:) list of hospital administration/ management colleges in mumbai &pune.

Hospital Debt [ 7 Answers ]

I had made a arrangements in paying my hospital bill because I don't make that much money and at the time I didn't have insurance. The hospital agreed and I've been sending in my payment every month. I went to check my mail today and it looks like they gave my info to a collection agency in...

What to take with me to the hospital [ 10 Answers ]

:D Hello all! :D I was just wondering if there were any specifics on what I should take to the hospital with me when I go into labor? I know I'll need comfortable clothes, toiletries, and the diaper bag with everything for baby... but is there anything else you would recommend? How is...

Out of the Hospital [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My dog just came home from the hospital he was not eating or drinking there. Now at home he is drinking but not eating and getting very thin I mix up kd paste into a syringe to feed him How can I get him to take solid food. He is 13 and had pancreatitis which has subsided. Thanks

View more questions Search