Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    perrine Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2006, 06:07 PM
    Us citizenship
    Hi!I'm 21 years old and I'm french! I came here with a visa for 1 year as a nanny.my year is almost over and I have to go back to france. But I'm getting married at the end of January! And even with the marriage it s seems hard for me to come back here! I need help with how to be a citizen, what I need to do, how long does it take... can I even have the dual citizenship? Please I need help.. I really want to be able to come back here and live with my husband! thank you
    jpark Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 09:15 PM
    From the US State Dept: "The United States does not recognize dual citizenship; however, it does not forbid it. Despite the fact that we allow citizens to hold other nationalities, the U.S. government's view is those people continue to be U.S. citizens, period."

And check the USCIS website:
    http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/lpreligibility.htm
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Get married before you leave the country and then petition to stay.
    vartan Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Feb 26, 2006, 09:38 PM
    Perrine here is the good news.. as long as you entered the US legally your husband can petition for your visa while you are back in france and you just have to wait for everything to go through. I am actually going through the same sitauation except I am not going to be able to marry my fiancé before she has to go back to taiwan.. So I have to do the fiancé petition to get her back.. The key to everything is that "originally you entered the country legally" That is the most important thing to the US.. technically you could hide out for a while (I don't suggest it) and they will hold nothing against you because you came in legally. But if you enter the country illegally.. they will not help you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Us citizenship [ 5 Answers ]

If I am a french citizen working in the Us with out us citizenship and I marry a us citizen do I become an american citizen?

Citizenship [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I am 26 yrs of age, Both my parents have a portuguese passports and also ID cards. How do I go about attain a passport before I get married?? This year?? I live in dubai and the nearest consulate is in Saudi Arabia and they are very slow. I WAS BORN IN DUBAI AND I HAVE LIVED HERE...

Citizenship.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering what it takes to get a citizenship to greece. If you help me out that'd be great. Thanks. :)

US Citizenship [ 4 Answers ]

I was born in Germany, my father a US soldier, mother a german. My dad acknowledged me in my birth registration documentation, but since I was born here in the 50's and they were not married I received automatic german citizenship. Later my mom married a US citizen and we got stationed in Japan...

Citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

My father was a journeyman and he lived in the Republic Of The Marshall Islands (it used to be part of a US territory), anyway, I was born back in 1972. He forgot to claim me as a US citizen born abroad. I am now 29 years old. I've lived in the US for over 10 years. My question to you is, can I...

View more questions Search