Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vidya337murthy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 08:39 PM
    Wow ! Great !

Thank you people for the warm welcome !

Here is my first question..

We do not wear shoes at home as it is considered unclean .

SO a pair of my shoes are kept outside in front of my door as it is used often and it is

Inconvenient to put it in and take it out so often. Imagine my surprise when yesterday my

Daughter found a note saying " Dear Neighbour , Please do not leave your shoes in front

of your door as it is not presentable." This was shocking to say the least. As I cannot

Imagine myself telling my neighbours anything about their personal practices. And the

Shoes are in front of my door and is not left in front of my neighbour's door. I don't know

How to react without being mistaken . And of course , I do not want to change my

Personal habits as they are not troubling others.

What do you guys think?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 08:47 PM
    I moved your post, there are 100's of subject areas, you will want to pick one to ask your question in, the INTRODUCTION area is just to introduct yourself.

I moved your post here ( be honest was not sure where to move it, )

1. Ignore they note and keep doing what you are doing

2. leave them a note and explain that this is your custom and practice as wearing shoes in the house in your culture is not considered proper.
    And tell them that you appreciate their opinion but know they will understand that you have your traditions that you will be following.

And personally you are in for a lot of fun I can tell, any neighbor with that much stupdity to do this, is going to be problems all the time,

I hope you did not buy this house, since this neighbor is going to be a real pain.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Do you set your shoes out in the public hallway?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Do stop all the note passing back and forth just put your shoes INSIDE your own door inside your own apartment. Put the shoes on a mat and that will keep the dirt off your carpets. Not everyone likes to see shoes in the hallway of a place where they live.

Consider yourself lucky that one of your neighbors didn't just pitch them in the dumpster so you could get the message and stop leaving them outside your door. They were considerate enough to leave you a note instead.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 09:06 PM
    I would buy a decorative box with lid, wicker basket with lid or even a storage bench if there is enough room. Hang a matching wreath on the door and tie the look in together maybe that will not be an eye sore for the neighbor.
    If your container is large enough maybe you could store more than 1 pair.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Want to bet the neighbor will gripe about the box if they didn't like the shoes? Someone just might decide they like the box and walk off with it for their own apartment!
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 10:53 PM
    I do not know why anyone would find this offensive -- tradition in Japan

I guess it depends how much you want to get along with the neighbors

You could hide shoes in bag and take in your house or somewhere else
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 11:03 PM
    Granted I don't wear shoes inside my home either... but we have a shoe rack we keep inside the house that we put our shoes on. Do you live in a house or apartment?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 01:27 AM
    Knowing whether the OP lives in a house or an apartment is key here.

If it's a home, then the OP has the right to practice any customs he/she wishes, so long as there isn't a homeowner's association that she/he belongs to that forbids it.

If it's an apartment---I can understand the neighbor's plight. ESPECIALLY if "outside the front door" is in a public hallway. That makes for a tripping and/or fire hazard as well as being unsightly to see in a public hallway.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Jan 29, 2008, 02:13 PM
    If it's an apartment or condo or townhouse, I would get a small rug and keep your shoes on it just inside your door. If you have a garage where you reside, perhaps you could come in that way and leave the shoes in the garage.

While many customs do not permit shoes indoors, some accommodation is called for in the US, where leaving your shoes in the shared corridor is not acceptable.

If it is your house, and you own the space in front of your door and the yard surrounding it, you have an annoying neighbor and I would ignore them.

If it makes you feel any better, when I was in Thailand as an American, I was very uncomfortable going into the religious temples barefoot. In my Catholic church, showing up barefoot would be seen very differently... it would be totally unacceptable not to have shoes on!

We all have to make little adjustments, and where your shoes are when not on your feet is a small matter. I would move them indoors rather than ruining relationships with annoyed neighbors (I wouldn't like how it looked, either).
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 29, 2008, 02:19 PM
    I agree that if it is an apartment complex, leaving them inside is best. However if you have your own home, it is up to you if you leave them outside or not. I often leave mine on the porch when it's nice out. If you have your own house, then just ignore the neighbor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoes in the house [ 33 Answers ]

Hi! I have been looking forever on the internet for an answer, but haven't been successful... maybe you can help. We are getting new carpet tomorrow and we do not wear our shoes in the house... but, when we have company, they will come in with the nastiest shoes you've ever seen! How can I let...

Christmas shoes [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know who the female artist is who did the re-make a few years ago of "Christmas Shoes"?

Jumpsoles shoes [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to buy jumpsoles to increase my vertical. Does anyone know if they really work?

Sloshing shoes [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a neat new pair of shoes at a thrift store for four dollars. Here is the jipper: they make squishing sounds. They are loud and obnoxious. Should I use them as boomerangs to throw at rats or is there some way I can wear them without sounding like Jacques Cousteau? What can I do to get to...

View more questions Search