Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Auburner Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Home Security Camera
    I am looking to install an outdoor security/surveillance camera to monitor my driveway and cars.

I see a lot of cameras on the market that provide day and night surveillance but I have no way of assessing what would be good.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on cameras?

Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 01:46 PM
    There are wireless that are quick and cheap, that can be hooked to any VCR or TV with Video Input, Then there are hardwired, and a cable can go to a video input, and you could have it in a Picture in Picture, Or use a Modulator and give it a channel Number.
    Basic I like to do on a house is, a 4 channel modulator, and hook up 4 cameras, IR illuminator if you like, and then Mix with my Satellite or Cable Wire, This way, I don't need additional wiring other than Camera wiring. Then you can go to Channel 92 for the front door, 94 for the Baby's room, 96 for the boat, and channel 98 for the Swimming Pool, from any TV in the house.
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx
    There are also network cameras, wired and wireless
    And if you got a 4 channel Video Server with loop through, you can veiw on any TV in the house also, and remotely via Interent
    Auburner Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Are there any particular brands/models of cameras you can recommend that have good nighttime images?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Their are wireless that are quick and cheap, that can be hooked to any VCR or TV with Video Input, Then their are hardwired, and a cable can go to a video input, and you could have it in a Picture in Picture, Or use a Modulator and give it a channel Number.
    Basic I like to do on a house is, a 4 channel modulator, and hook up 4 cameras, IR illuminator if you like, and then Mix with my Satellite or Cable Wire, This way, I don't need additional wiring other than Camera wiring. Then you can go to Channel 92 for the front door, 94 for the Baby's room, 96 for the boat, and channel 98 for the Swimming Pool, from any TV in the house.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx
    Their are also network cameras, wired and wireless
    and if you got a 4 channel Video Server with loop through, you can veiw on any tv in the house also, and remotely via Interent
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 07:14 AM
    For Night Vision, the Illuminator can be separate or attached to camera.
    Many different models, from $50 to thousands, and can see in the dark 3 football field away, Remote pan, zoom, and tilt. How much do you want to spend?
    X10 Makes some wireless models that anyone can install, no wires to run.
    Personally I like Hardwire, doesn't transmit everywhere, to anyone.
    If it is aimed at you car, no problem. If in Kids room, that may be a problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home security [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everone, I have installed a cctv camera, for home security. I can view it's output on my TV. Now I need a device where I can record the output of the camera for say 48 hrs and view it later or erase it. What kind of device do I need. What are the cheapest options. ...

Home Security for the 21st Century [ 9 Answers ]

I was looking to survey what services and fees (if any) people subscribe to for their home security system. In addition, if you are using a pay/fee-based service - do you feel the cost/fee is reasonable? Secondly, what feature(s) do you like the best about the system? If you ignore...

Evicting a renter for breaking terms of lease (security of home & property) [ 15 Answers ]

We have rented out our house and signed a lease stating that the tenant is responsible for security of the premises and house. Unfortunately, today we again have found the house with no one home for more than three hours in the evening with the garage open, the garage entry door unlocked and...

Home security [ 6 Answers ]

My home living complex has recently had a 5 foot brick wall put around it. It has become clear to me that this wall is very easy to climb over. I saw somewhere some small tiangle like pins that you can put along the entire top of the wall that would not allow anyone to get a full grip in order to...

Wireless Home Security Questions [ 6 Answers ]

I am a little confused so I would to know if someone here could help me out. We currently have ADT (contract expired, not extended). We are moving to FIOS and our ADT will not work so we are going to go wireless. We like Alarm.com - 100% Wireless Security Systems for Homes & Businesses for the...

View more questions Search