Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janicedinse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 12:45 PM
    White Family Rotary Sewing Machine
    I have a White Family Rotary treadle sewing machine and wondered how I could find out how old it is. The serial number is 98222. There were no letters before the number, just that number was stamped on the plate. Thanks so much.
    Jan:)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 08:45 PM
    If the number 98222 is the serial number, then it would appear to be a machine that was built prior to the year 1900. According to the following site whites the White sewing machine records did not start until 1900. So, it may not be possible to find an exact year of the manufacture of your machine.

However, the site that I have referenced is very interesting concerning these sewing machines and also has lots of images of the sewing machines that span many decades throughout the manufacturing of them. By looking at the images, you might find a machine that looks like yours and by the information on the page, might be able to at least come up with a year that might be close to when the manufacturing of your machine occurred.

The following is a quote from the above referenced site. Please note that there is a phone number that you can call where they might be able to also get you close as far as the year of manufacture. I don't know how up to date the information on the site is, though.

At least this is a start to finding out. I hope that it has been helpful to you! :)

White Numbers/Years

The White company (still in business) has some serial number records and will date machines. Their record and numbering system is/was not as organized as Singers, so there are some problems. However, we are assembling a record of known dates to provide a rough comparison ability.

The following White numbers were verified through the company. You will note that there are irregularities in the stated sequences. Neither we nor the company have any explanation for this. Hopefully, you can use the list for a quick check on the age of your White. If you call the Husqvarna/Viking/White company at 1 800 446-2333, they will date your machine for you.

VS - the White VS was introduced in 1876. Books credit it through the 1880's but White records show it continuing into the 1900's. VS I has round tension on upper arm. VS II came out in the 1880's. The tension was by means of a nut on the machine head, but had no dial. VS III came out in the 1890's and had the tension dial, similar to the FR models.

1163248 this number is from the 1800's. White records start in 1900
    1368882 1903
    1759040 1915
    1800124 1919
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 02:58 AM
    Thank you! And, you are very welcome for the information! I do hope that it will be helpful to you! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewing machine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a singer model 457 I can not get the needle to pick up bobbin thread

Instructions on how to operate a Domestic 69 rotary sewing mchine [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a old Domestic 69 Rotary sewing machine # 502915 and need the instructions.

Value of Raymond Sewing Company Foot Pedal Sewing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

I am in possession of a Raymond Company foot pedal operated Sewing machine and I am wondering roughly what it may be worth. I believe it is from the late 1800's.

Old sewing machine [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old black electric sewing machine in wooden cabinet with the brandname UNIVERSAL (made in Japan). I do not know how old it is but would like to know how to find a manual for it and also an estimate of the value. I have been unable to find any info on this brand anywhere. Please help

1886 White Sewing Machine [ 4 Answers ]

I recently acquired an antique White Sewing Machine. It is in a cabinet that is in fair to good shape for its age. It still has all of the original hardware and attachments, and it also has the original Certificate of Warranty showing the date of sale as being Sept 23, 1886. The plate number on...

View more questions Search