Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ori72065 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 12:34 PM
    How can I verify if I am a US Citizen?
    I was naturalise before my eighteenth through my Mom birthday but I cannot find the supporting documents to verify this.
    I need to know if there is a number I can Call or some way I can find out my Citizenship status so that I can apply for my US Passport
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Just how were you naturalized?
    ori72065 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 07:35 AM
    My Mom got us naturalised with her when she became a Citizen since we were under 18/21
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Ask mom for some kind of documentation on her naturalization and then go to the location where you were naturalized and they can give you the proper paperwork for your citizenship.
    yanese simms Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ori72065
    I was naturalise before my eigtheenth through my Mom birthday but I cannot find the supporting documents to verify this.
    I need to know if there is a number I can Call or some way I can find out my Citizenship status so that I can apply for my US Passport
    I was 17 when my mom became a citizen, how do I find out if I am a citizen
    yanese simms Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 04:50 PM
    She said they told her I was to close to being 18
    msgrant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 10:44 AM
    I lose my green card and I apple for and they denied me what can I do
    mstiaj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by msgrant View Post
    i lose my green card and i apple for and they denied me what can i do

Ask your sis!:D :cool:
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yanese simms View Post
    i was 17 when my mom became a citizen, how do i find out if i am a citizen
    In order to obtain certificate of citizenship for yourself, you must file form N-600 to USCIS. Here's the link:
    Application for Certificate of Citizenship
    Immigration Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by msgrant View Post
    i lose my green card and i apple for and they denied me what can i do
    I need more info... your case was denied on what ground? Do you have green card with 2 years condition?

Jan 4, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    I need more info........ your case was denied on what ground? Do you have greencard with 2 years condition?
    Hi Lawandee;
    The issue was the following.
    Dad became a citizen while I was a baby (19 years ago). Before that, while he was still a resident, he had petitioned my mom (his wife at that time) and my sister and me. Then he became a citizen while I was 2 years old. Time went by, he and my mom divorced, my green card expired, he said he had renewed it and it was going to come in the mail. However it never came. So when I went to immigration to find out why I had not received my new green card I was told that my residency had expired and that I was actually illegal now. That, aparently my dad never really renewed anything. So since my initial residency card was a temporary one, later I was suppose to renew it and it was never done, now I am illegal, but also, I have the right to become a citizen because my father is one. I am about to turn 21 at the end of this month and I really need help. I have no idea what to do, since my dad refuses to help me at this time. Because of all this, I have not been able to return to the University. I graduated with honors and was suppose to go into college with a financial help. Please help me, I do not know what I need to do. Besides that, my whole family lives here in the states, except my mom. My older sisters and brother (from dad's first marriage) are also citizens and one of my sisters raised me since I was 10 and she has been trying to help me but, without dad's date of citizenship we can't seem to get any further. We have gotten as far as getting his social security number. Is there a way to go online and find out when my dad became a citizen? Is there anything we can do? Time is running out since this month I turn 21.

I would greatly appreciate all the help you can give me.

Thanks
    mstiaj
    Immigration Expert

Jan 4, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mstiaj View Post
    Hi Lawandee;
    The issue was the following.
    Dad became a citizen while I was a baby (19 years ago). Before that, while he was still a resident, he had petitioned my mom (his wife at that time) and my sister and me. Then he became a citizen while I was 2 years old. Time went by, he and my mom divorced, my greencard expired, he said he had renewed it and it was going to come in the mail. However it never came. So when I went to immigration to find out why i had not recieved my new greencard I was told that my residency had expired and that I was actually illegal now. That, aparently my dad never really renewed anything. So since my initial residency card was a temporary one, later I was suppose to renew it and it was never done, now I am illegal, but also, I have the right to become a citizen because my father is one. I am about to turn 21 at the end of this month and I really need help. I have no idea what to do, since my dad refuses to help me at this time. Because of all this, i have not been able to return to the University. I graduated with honors and was suppose to go into college with a financial help. Please help me, i do not know what I need to do. Besides that, my whole family lives here in the states, except my mom. My older sisters and brother (from dad's first marriage) are also citizens and one of my sisters raised me since I was 10 and she has been trying to help me but, without dad's date of citizenship we can't seem to get any further. We have gotten as far as getting his social security number. Is there a way to go online and find out when my dad became a citizen? Is there anything we can do? time is running out since this month I turn 21.

I would greatly appreciate all the help you can give me.

Thanks
    mstiaj
    I think a number of documents might be missing when you submitted the application. You need to put together the following:
    Birth certificate, Mom & Dad's marriage registration + divorce decree, copy of his certificate of naturalization, copy of his N-400.

If you received notice of denial less than 30 days ago, you can appeal but if it's longer than that, you need immigration attorney to file motion to re-open your case.

Jan 6, 2009, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    I think a number of documents might be missing when you submitted the application. You need to put together the following:
    Birth certificate, Mom & Dad's marriage registration + divorce decree, copy of his certificate of naturalization, copy of his N-400.

If you received notice of denial less than 30 days ago, you can appeal but if it's longer than that, you need immigration attorney to file motion to re-open your case.

Lawadee:
    The problem is that I do not have my parents help with this. My mom and dad divorced. Yes, that I can get, the divorced decree. But there is no way I can get the marriage registration. And My mom, never came back to the USA so she lost her residency, and my dad refuses to help me at all. SO the only thing I have is his social security number, but I do not have the date he became a citizen. I have been at this since I turned 18 and I've been asking him for a copy of his naturalization certificate and he refuses to give it to me. What is a N-400? An attorney will cost me an arm and a leg. I don't have that kind of money. DO you think its better if my fiancé and I get married and he petitions me? Maybe that will be faster because if my dad is not going to help me then I'm stuck right?
    I'm so disturbed by this I don't know what to do?
    ratboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Same problem, My mom naturalized when I was 14, that was 21 years ago. On July 15th 2009, I got my US passport. I went down to a passport acceptance place. I brought in
    1. Foreign birth certificate
    2 Mother and father's divorce decree stating that they were divorced and that I was in my mothers custody (Obviously you won't need one if parents aren't divorced)
    3 Alien card
    4. Mother's US Citizenship Certificate/Proof she was citizen.
    5. Proof I was living with her at the time (My high school transcript)
    6 Two passport pictures
    7. A check for 155.00 which includes expedited service) If not expedited, it will take up to 6 weeks.
    And I received my proof of citizenship which was my US passport in two weeks
    I always thought I was an Alien card holder, until I got my passport.
    Walk in there with the attitude that "I AM A US CITIZEN" and apply for your passport.
    That's what my lawyer told me to do and it worked!
    Only citizens can get a US Passport and it states in the passport that this is proof of citizenship
    Check out this website for info and downloadable forms to fill out so you can speed up the process when you walk in.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Good luck to anyone and please let me know if this has helped anyone.
    I was fortunate enough to find a lawyer who didn't even charge me for this obvious, simple advice that no other lawyer has exposed to me for the past 21 years.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Aug 4, 2009, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
    Same problem, My mom naturalized when I was 14, that was 21 years ago. On July 15th 2009, I got my US passport. I went down to a passport acceptance place. I brought in
    2 Mother and father's divorce decree stating that they were divorced and that I was in my mothers custody (Obviously you won't need one if parents aren't divorced)
    3 Alien card
    6 Two passport pictures
    7. A check for 155.00 which includes expedited service) If not expedited, it will take up to 6 weeks.
    Walk in there with the attitude that "I AM A US CITIZEN" and apply for your passport.
    Only citizens can get a US Passport and it states in the passport that this is proof of citizenship
    check out this website for info and downloadable forms to fill out so you can speed up the process when you walk in.

Passport Home

good luck to anyone and please let me know if this has helped anyone.
    I was fortunate enough to find a lawyer who didn't even charge me for this obvious, simple advice that no other lawyer has exposed to me for the past 21 years.
    Good lawyer.
    algeny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 01:03 PM
    My dads becoming a citizen and I a citizen also I am 18 years old..
    algeny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 01:05 PM
    Sorry . My dads becoming a citizen and I'm 18 years old do I become a citizen too? And also if I do , do I need to pay ?
    2000teresa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 02:30 AM
    I would like to find out if I'm a citizen
    My father became a citizen when I was around 14 or 15 years old
    2000teresa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 02:34 AM
    Hi to whom it may concern my father became a us citizen when I was a child I think I was around 14 years old how can I find out if I am a citizen to they have told me that when one of your parend become a citizen you become one to where can I go or call to see if I am one thank you
    lovelife143 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
    3 Alien card
    6 Two passport pictures
    Check out this website for info and downloadable forms to fill out so you can speed up the process when you walk in.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Good luck to anyone and please let me know if this has helped anyone.
    Ratboy: How old were you when you applied for your passport? I am 34 years old & both my parents became citizens when I was 13 years old. I came to the US when I was 6 years old as a legal permanent resident. My parents told me that I was an automatic citizen through them so I always considered myself as a us citizen. Now I just need proof & it's probably easier by getting a passport. Any advice you can give me?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US naturalized citizen to become French citizen? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello! I want to know what the process is like to become a French citizen for an American Naturalized Citizen (born in Armenia). My boyfriend is French, and we might get married but we might not. I want to know : 1)how I could be granted French Citizenship without marrying my boyfriend and...

Marriage law between a Turkish citizen and Greek citizen [ 0 Answers ]

To whom it may concern ı would like to find out if a Turkish citizen gets married in Greece with a Greek citizen does the Turkish citizen has to wait and remain in Greece until her residant permit arrives? Doesn't she aloud to travel abroad before the resident permit document arrives? How...

How can you know if employer will verify? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any way to tell in advance whether an employer will attempt to verify an applicant's education/degrees? Is there a standard for this practice, particularly among municipal employers?

View more questions Search