Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarajukuGirl Posts: 207, Reputation: 9

Jan 12, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Nasal voice. Singing/Talkign from nose
    *Wasnt sure which catagorey thigs goes in but here it goes*

Hey everyone.

SO I was on YouTube watching videos, and some girl was singing, MANY people commented her saying
    "Dont sing from your nose"
    "Use your diaphragm" (I don't even know how to use my Diaphragm lol)

The girl sang good in my opinion but others found her Nasal sounding..

and sometimes people have told me "Dont speak from your nose"

and I sat there for a long time wondering

"How can someone talk from there nose"

what does that expression mean?
    and can people like this have there problem fixed?
    performancecoach Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 05:19 AM
    Hi HarajukuGirl
    People usually mean one of two different things when they talk about speaking through their nose.

Firstly, someone may be talking with air (and sound) leaking down their nose. This is what I think of as nasal speaking or singing.
    or
    Secondly, someone may have a bright, brilliant, twangy voice that is "placed forward" (sorry, singing teacher-speak). This may or may not have air leaking down the nose.

Both are fixable if you think it's a problem. It's easy to find out which one you are doing by testing for the first one (leaking air down the nose) like this:

Speak or sing the word AHH or EEE and hold it for a reasonably long time. With your fingers, gently pinch your nose closed and open a few times. If the sound changes, you are leaking air down your nose. If the sound stays the same, you aren't.
    It's as simple as that.

If you ARE leaking air, there's a door at the back of the roof of the mouth that leads into the nose, and it's a little bit open. You need to close it.
    If you AREN'T leaking air, then you have a bright voice. You can change it to a darker one if you want to, or keep it bright, or do both (your voice is very flexible). Remember that if you aren't leaking air, then people are telling you to change because THEY don't like the sound of bright voices.

I've got some more info about nasality on my website, and I've also got some downloadable video footage of the nasal port (the door into the nose) filmed from INSIDE the nose - it's fun unless you're squeamish! Check out the Resources/Articles and the Voicebox Videos link on the Vocal Process website at VOCAL PROCESS for Singing and the Actor Training, Belting and Musical Theatre techniques

Happy speaking!
    Performancecoach

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to improve singing voice? [ 4 Answers ]

My singins voice is a bit nasely.. I'm really into music and guitars.. I want to be a singer but my voice doesn't come out right because its nasely.. how do I improve it?

Voice over [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know I good place to study VoiceOver in NYC?

Post Nasal MOHs Surgery Discomfort [ 2 Answers ]

I had Mohs Surgery for Basel Cell Carcinoma on my nose (right side in the crevice) a year ago and ever since then I have been having a tight, pulling sensation that is very uncomfortable. I believe this to be from scar tissue and it becomes worse when I eat anything salty and then the tissues swell...

View more questions Search