Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Faux finish to cover patchy drywall
    Hello. I have a very small half bath on my first floor. No exterior walls. I gutted it and redid the drywall myself. I must say, I did a pretty bad job finishing the drywall. It's pretty patchy in spots and in the corners. Can anyone recommend a faux finish technique that would work well in a small, dark room? I really don't want to sand and finish again because that would entail more patching, and probably wouldn't come out nice.

I want to avoid wall paper too, but would go that route if there are no paint finished that would look nice.

Thanks.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 12, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Don't worry, wallpaper is a bad choice for wavy and rough walls.

Any blown texture works well covering drywall problems. Using a knockdown texture is common on walls, so it wouldn't look out of place.

I'm sure you can rent the gun, but they're under 75 bucks at any Lowe's(Spraying Mantis brand).

I can't think of any paint texture that would help your case, but to be honest, it really depends on how bad of a job you did :)

Thanks,
    Json
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 02:41 PM
    decorative finishes and home improvement paint techniques: color washing, glazing and more I have used a few of these techniques myself. My house is almost 100 years old... not very smooth walls. To get a better look you can go to Lowe's and get paint swatches that have different finishes. Go back to the section has stencils, glazes and decorative rollers. That is where those types of paint samples are located. Do not look for them with the regular paint samples. They will also have little free leaflets that you can take home that gives you step by step instructions.
    nteriorart Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 08:47 AM
    One - and perhaps the most effective technique- for this type problems is by using an mixture of the joint compound (2 parts), then equal parts paint and glaze. Mix together, then using putty applicators, apply directly to the walls. This will provid a plaster build up appearance. After your first coat dries, you can reapply until you get the best thickness that you prefer. The surface can be smooth or rougn, based on your applications and what you like.. First, though, try this on a sample board to get the "feel" of your technique.
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Your suggestion sounds interesting, and might be a great fix for me. How do I go about applying the mixture to the wall with the applicators? Is there a name for this technique so I can reference it when I go to the store? Do I just use regular sheet rock/drywall compound or is there a special joint compound that works best for this?

Thanks!
    Decorate Now Patterns Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Look up "venetian plaster" for the colored thin compound technique.

Here is one link I found on it:
    Venetian Plaster - Venetian Plaster Technique

Sponge painting in 2 or more colors will also hide a multitude of sins. One decorator that I knew used a yellow/red/purple combo on one of her walls. It all depends on how colorful you want to be.
    nteriorart Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 04:56 AM
    Terms for this type application are called Textured, Build-up or even Old World. To apply, if there is a large section to be covered and your mixture isn't too thick.. apply with a paint roller, then smooth with a puttly applicator (wide one) or I use some of the masonry applicators as well. Try not to apply "wet over wet" too much or you'll get some cracking in the drying process. Not sure if I can post my website on here, but there are several examples on the site and you can even sculpt directly into the mixture and get some beautiful results. Interior-artists.com is the site
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Jan 28, 2008, 07:03 PM
    All you have to do is get the already mixed drywall mud smooth it on with a mudd knife. Make sure to keep it wet. The trip is to apply water until you have the smoothness of the wall. Let dry. Use your sheetrock sanding pad but wet the pad. It still sands well without the dust everywhere. Then prime it and paint it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need something to cover the corner between tile and drywall [ 3 Answers ]

We are tiling our shower and we've found that our walls are not square. At the corner where the tiled wall of the shower meets the regular dry-walled wall, there is a gap that gets wider as you get further down the wall. Is there something we can do that will cover this corner and the gap? It will...

Finish Sanding Drywall Installation [ 5 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom and a kitchen alcove I'm getting ready to slop compound on the drywall. Trying to save my arms and back- does anyone have a suggestion for using a small power sander? Type (vibration, belt), any tips, etc... Finish look will be slop and go, so the finish coat will just...

Patchy beard growth [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm 18 years old and am able to grow almost a full beard however I get a patch on the left jawline of my face maybe 2-3cm in size that no hair will grow at all, apart from that I am able to grow a full beard, is there anyway to help this grow, e.g medicines from doctors or any type of tratment I...

How do I finish my drywall w/ mesh tape? [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a bunch of all-purpose,lightweight joint compound and some fiberglass mesh tape to finish my drywalls. Now, I've only been able to find how to use the regular tape with finishing drywall. How the HECK do I finish the drywall w/ mesh tape? Yes, I'm a complete newbie Appreciate any...

View more questions Search