Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 03:15 AM
    Is it Insurance Fraud?
    So, here is the deal.

I am covered under my boyfriend's insurance. We broke up tonight, he is moving out on Monday. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. If I were to still use the insurance when we are not actually together, is this insurance fraud?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 04:01 AM
    Probably there is a time limit I imagine? I've never heard of plans that covered girlfriends.

The policy should tell something about the time frames in those situations... Perhaps a declaration has to be made taking you off the policy... Some places only allow changes once a year... but for divorce, my ex stayed on my insurance until it was legally final... not sure how that works in your situation, so I'll be curious to see other answers. They also probably allow for the potential that arguments occur and people might get back together... so I would be surprised if your coverage ended immediately...
    Vision Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 04:38 AM
    It's called domestic partners...

So using the insurance while I'm still covered should be fine?
    Vision Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Okay, thanks guys. Any other information would be really awesome, as well... Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 04:14 PM
    No, it is not fruad, first you are automatically covered from the time of the payment, till the next payment is due. If he still pays then you are still covered the next month.

And if he Or you cancells the coverage because you broke up then at lest in the US, there will be a notice given to you prior to the coverage being cancelled.

Also laws vary by the county you live in, so telling us where you live helps
    Grab the Brass Ring Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jan 13, 2008, 08:02 AM
    I have not worked in a State that provides coverage for domestic partners, but my limited background tells me that you must submit some form of paperwork that recognizes you and your significant other as domestic partners. Is that correct and, if so, it probably has to be submitted with the insurance paperwork through your employer. I would imagine that the insurance carrier would want to make sure that both parties are over 18, share a common living space, able to each sign a form acknowledging that they are partners, etc.

If that is the case, the carrier or State would probably require a form that dissolves the partnership as well. Until that is signed off by both people, your coverage will probably stay inforce and you would not have a problem seeing your provider next week.

The most quick and best answer is to call your insurance carrier. I am sure you do not want to commit insurance fraud since you submitted a post asking about it, so while our advice could be considered helpful, the easiest thing to do is call your carrier and ask them what their policy is.
    Vision Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 10:08 PM
    Washington recognizes domestic partners, at least our insurance in Washington does. But yes, all this is correct. I don't know about the form to dissolve it, we weren't informed of this. But thanks for all the advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance fraud [ 1 Answers ]

I have been married to my wife for a year and it has been horrible. She has turned into someone I do not even know. She has tried to commit auto insurance fraud but that was unsuccessful. Now a friend of hers has told me the health insurance she is currently on and has been on even before we were...

Is this insurance fraud? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine cashed a check from his insurance company that was supposed to be used to pay the anesthesiology bill for surgery. The check was made out to him and him alone. His disability insurance was running out and he needed to pay his bills. He called up the anesthesiology people to make...

What is considered Helath Insurance Fraud? [ 5 Answers ]

My family looking into purchasing Helath Insurance for a family member; When she went in to a check-up, the doctor found something odd, and said it might be cancer. They performed a screening, and it came back inconclusive. No one she went to locally knows what it is, and she was told she...

Is what I did some kind of insurance fraud ? [ 1 Answers ]

I reieved the check from Atena to pay for the services and put it into my account as they instructed me to be I didn't know at the time that I had a negative balance in that account. But since I did put it in my account that means the check was cashed and I didn't not send the collections agency...

View more questions Search