Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manela Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2006, 11:35 AM
    Problems installing a programmable thermostat
    Hi there,
    Just got a Honeywell RTH230B programmable thermostat to replace the old one. I have a gas furnace.
    I uninstalled the old thermostat and found three wires:
    Red, connected to terminal marked "R"
    White, connected to terminal marked "W"
    Green, connected to terminal marked "B"

I was a bit confused with the "B" wire, since this letter did not appear on my new themostat. It only had Rh, Rc, W, Y, G.

I connected as follows:
    Red wire to Rh
    White wire to W
    Green wire to G.

Problem is, once I turned the new thermostat on, the furnace did not seem to work unless I put the "Fan" switch to "On" (rather than "Auto"). But then the furnace also continued to work even after the home temperature was warmer than the thermostat setting.

Can anyone help with this? What am I doing wrong? (I put the JP2 jumper at the HG position, which they say is for gas furnaces).

Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2006, 02:52 PM
    There are a lot of questions here on that thermostat, and neither anybody else or I seem to have the answers. I know how some furnaces are wired. Others are different. I keep trying to put the pieces together. You have 2 problems. The green wire must be connected to the blower relay as is standard. Normally, the B terminal is the opposite side of the transformer or ground that some thermostats need for power. Normally furnaces have a limit switch or timer that delays the blower after the gas comes on and off after it. I guess your system could have had that function in the old thermostat. Not sure how to best fix that. Connecting the green and white wire both to the W terminal would start and stop the blower the same time as the gas. Might study the directions and see if there is any provision for the blower delay.

As for the shut off, I have less of an answer. Somebody recently reported their furnace needs power to be switched from the white to another wire. However, the green wire couldn't be both the blower and the shut off. I think a couple of people got it working by changing the battery. Some questions I can give a good answer on. I am sorry I don't have a better answer to yours.
    manela Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2006, 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for this. Turns out that, although the white wire was connected to the W terminal of the old thermostat, downstairs it was connected to... nothing at all! The Green wire, on the other hand, was connected to the common side of the transformer. So all I really had was a simple two wire system, and connecting the green wire to the W terminal on the new thermostat did the trick.

I guess the lesson is not the assume the wire colors actually mean what they're supposed to, and just go check where they actually lead to on the furnace itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell Programmable Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Should My Thermostats Panel Operate On The 2 Aa Backup Batteries Or Be Hardwired To Common And Have Batteries As Backup When Power Is Out? Panel Lights Up With Batteries In, Does Not Without Batteries. Don't Know Where Common Wire Originates From. Can I Splice Into One Of The Other Wires, G, Y,...

Programmable thermostat went blank [ 12 Answers ]

Our thermostat (which has been serving solely as a thermometer since the last time we used the heat in the spring) blanked out yesterday afternoon. I checked the inside temp. during the day, then last evening the face was completely blank. It is completely unresponsive to any button pushing. I...

Noma Programmable thermostat [ 14 Answers ]

I have tried to replace a conventional lever action mercury thermostat with a new digital programmable Noma thermostat. The AC works fine but when I turn on the heat, the AC come on then too and not the heat. I have no heat. This was the wiring for the original thermostat: Orange -> Y Red ->...

Need help wiring Honeywell programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 5-2 programmable Honeywell thermostat - replacing my old mercury unit. Have a spilt-system Bryant heat pump. Brown - Br Green - G White - W1 Blue - B Yellow - Y Red - R Connected G, W1, Y and R (not B, not Br). Heat works fine. Just switched to cooling and I only get hot air. Any...

View more questions Search