Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Wallpaper removal
    I have a system for removing wallpaper and enjoy doing it but for my next project it is one layer of wallpaper on top of clean plaster.

I have started but found that my regular system doesn't work, whereby wetting the old paper down and scraping off is damaging the wet plaster underneath. I hate to think that after I accomplish this task, before even painting which I want to do, I will have to repair the plaster damage.

Any ideas on removal of wallpaper without gouging the wet plaster ?

tickle
    Buffalo A Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 11:09 PM
    I had a similar issue with my kitchen. I pulled off a layer of wallpaper on the 90 year old plaster walls. Fortunately, the plaster was solid enough to use a water / vinegar solution, and a sharp putty knife for scraping. Of course, there were some trouble areas, but I was able to repair with joint compound, etc. It seemed that the wetter the walls were, the easier the paper came off. It just depends how tough your plaster face is. Good Luck, Wall papering should be a crime!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 05:46 AM
    My house was built in the 40s, so I am assuming the plastered wall(s) are from the 50s, the paper certainly looks like it. The paper is embossed and dry enough now to come off easily when wet, but I really don't want to repair plaster after it is off.

Thanks for your response Buffalo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wallpaper removal problems [ 2 Answers ]

The previous owners of my house wallpapered the bathroom directly on the sheetrock. I need suggestions on what to do since I can't remove all the paper without ruining the sheetrock. Should we just get the color off and texturize it them prime and paint it or does anyone have another suggestion. ...

Wallpaper removal [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently removed vinyl wallpaper from my kitchen walls. It all came off beautifully, but now the walls feel bumpy from what I assume is the glue. I've tried to wash it off, but it just feels slick and sticky and dries bumpy again. Any suggestions? grace1

Wallpaper removal [ 1 Answers ]

What is a reasonable price to charge for wallpaper removal in a kitchen? The wallpaper is on the ceiling also. Location is in Queens, new York

I am removing old wallpaper in my kitchen. I have peeled a layer of wallpaper off & it came of easily, but I can see a faint floral pattern & am thinking this is another layer of wallpaper. When I try to remove this, I am seeing a green wall, but some of the sheet rock is peeling off too. How do I...

I've already peeled the top layer of the wallpaper off and am left with the paper backing. I've tried DIF concentrate mix, letting it sit and resoak twice, I've tried the DIF gel, letting it sit and then I tried straight vinegar. Nothing seems to be easily taking the backing off, in addition...

View more questions Search