Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmcoble Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 04:12 PM
    E-mail agreement, is it valid
    I had a supposed friend promise over email to give me a car as a gift. She set up meeting time and place with my wife to pick up the car. When my wife arrived at her house to get the car, nobody was home but the car was on the street, cleaned up and ready to go. My wife went to get breakfast, came back and still nobody home. She went home and tried to email and call, but they are answering the p hone and hanging up right away, and have blocked us from email. I was told by co-workers that those emails in which she promised to give us the car are considered a binding contract and we have a small claims case against her to get the car. Is this true? Anybody have any advice?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 11, 2008, 04:17 PM
    As this was offered as a gift NO contract was entered into or even implied.
    There is nothing legally binding in this e-mail at all.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 04:32 PM
    The owner of the car was not given any consideration ($ or other items of value) for the car, so has every right to change her mind before the car was actually given... which would have been when the title was signed over.
    tmcoble Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    The owner of the car was not given any consideration ($ or other items of value) for the car, so has every right to change her mind before the car was actually given... which would have been when the title was signed over.

The fact that the emails show us offering money but her demanding we take it for free don't mean anything?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Means she is odd. I suppose if you took that evidence to court, along with showing a cost for yourself in trying to complete the transaction... you might find a lawyer willing to try to force her to follow through with completing the transaction or at least repaying you for your time and expenses... if a judge found in your favor, but that would be a big if.

She could always say she changed her mind or something. The car was not offered to you conditionally... or if you did something for her... so it would be like me sending you an email saying that I give you my car. Just because an email says it, doesn't mean that I have actually given it because of it having a title.

She could always claim that she felt pressured or something in dealing with you not wanting to lose the friendship, so made the offer under duress or some other mental state, but came to her right mind before completing the transaction.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Guyinohio, "conditionally" is the key word. There weren't any conditions.

Tm, it doesn't matter that you offered money. She told you to just "take it for free". The point is she viewed this as a gift. Then, she simply changed her mind and reneged on her "gift". Yes, the way she handled it was very rude and inconvenienced your wife but what she did is not illegal. It isn't illegal to change your mind about giving a gift to someone.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 08:36 PM
    There was no valid contract, a gift can not be inforced. Had she agreed to accept 400 dollars for it, and you both agreed, and then went to get it, the court may accept this as a valid contract, but as a gift, no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have H1 and L1. Is H1 valid still? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in a confusion and need clarification so that I can decide on my future. Your help would be appreciated. Company A sponsored me H1 and got my H1 stamping done. Company B I work for wanted me to go to US on assignment and got me L1. I am in US on L1 now. I want to switch to Company...

L1 stamping with valid H1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a query regarding H1B and L1 visa. I have my H1B visa stamped with me and I have yet not traveled to US. In the meantime my current Employer in India is willing to file my L1A visa and has started the process for it. My L1A visa has been approved by USCIS and now I am due for visa...

Is my lease valid? [ 3 Answers ]

I signed a 12 month lease for an apt in Ca. We have been there for 6 months and want out of our lease for several reasons. I was reviewing the lease to find a way to break the lease and noticed that my husband never signed the lease only I did. I am only on the lease because I am an adult living...

Great Auto Response mail for Employee Suggestion mail [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, As part of HR, I take care of the Suggestion Committee which encourages employees to post their suggestions through mail. The ideas are chosen after a period of 1 month by a pre-designated Committee. For every suggestion, we have to give a positive, motivating response in our...

Mail Agreement [ 3 Answers ]

A company sends a customer a free sample of its product of the month with an enclosed brochure stating that if the customer doesn't return the stamped self-enclosed "rejection" notice, the customer will be obligated to accept and pay for each successive shipment of the product for the next eleven...

View more questions Search