Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Ghana visa and passport questions
    There have been a lot of questions as to the cost of a visa and passport from Ghana to come visit the US, I want to alert everyone to the fact that in many cases this can be a scam, let me take a moment to describe it below:

There is a large scale scam where women from Ghana (or maybe even men pretending to be women) meet people from the US or European countries and over weeks or months of talking, emailing or maybe even phone calls, they will become your girlfriend. This scam is not limited to people from Ghana, but this seems to be the most common place these people claim to be from right now.

Eventually one day the person will ask you for money to come visit, they will say they need a visa and passport to enter your country. Usually at this point they will ask for $500 to $700 USD. I want to confirm the fee for citizens of Ghana to get a passport is only $10.00 USD and the cost of a visa to enter the US from any destination is $131.00.

Right away this should clue you into the fact this is a scam, but some people pay this fee without verifying if the cost is true. After this they will say they need medical reports, police reports or they need you to buy the airline ticket itself. Some will claim they need to bribe a government official in order to leave the country for a variety of reasons.

Some people also pay this second time, so they will try again, they will ask for money for any reason they can think of, they will say US customs says they have to have a large amount of cash with them to prove they can support themselves while travelling, this is not true but some people will pay this anyway.

Please be careful, if you have never met this person face to face and your being asked to pay for their travel be aware, this is a nameless person on the internet that can disappear instantly once they have your money and they will spend time getting to know you to build up your trust.

PM me if you are being scammed or have any questions about this.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Nov 9, 2010, 12:04 PM

Warning about romance scam from the website of the US embassy in Ghana, Romance Scams - U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Accra,Ghana passport or visa [ 21 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to marry a woman from Ghana would it be easyer for her to get passport or visa and come here or for me to go there and marry her than bring here back to usa anybody can help me with this not working with a lot of money here thanks

Ghana passport [ 2 Answers ]

How much does it cost for a passport and visa to travel from Ghana to USA?

Passport and Visa Requirements in Ghana [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend lives in and is a citizen of Ghana. She wants to visit me in the USA. What must She do to get a passport and visa to travel to The United States? How much does it cost? How Long will it take to complete the process?

GHANA passport and visa [ 14 Answers ]

Does anybody have answer on following questions: - If a Ghananian applies at Ghananian authorities for international passport, how much does that cost? - If a Ghananian applies at German embassy for tourist or aupair visa, how much does that cost? Thank you very much for helping me Best from...

Ghana passport and visa [ 12 Answers ]

My girlfriend lives in ghana and wants to move here to england to live with me.How can I help her get a passport and visa?how much do they cost?

View more questions Search