Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 02:41 PM
    401k penalties
    I cashed in my 401K. I had them take out 35%. Should this cover all taxes? I live in Alabama. Or am I still going to owe more when I file? The 35% covers the penaty also.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jan 11, 2008, 06:33 PM
    You probably know this but it would have been better to have known the tax consequences before surrendering your 401k for it's value. I think you (or a tax preparer) first have to calculate your income taxes for both AL and the IRS for the tax year and, of course, when doing so, you may need to include as "earned" income not only your actual "earned" income from your employment, interest, dividents, etc but also the proceeds from the 401k distribution provided unless you were past the age of 59 1/2 at the time of the distribution. You did not mention your age or whether you have or do not have earned income, etc. but even if you did, tax laws are complicated and may involve factors too numerous to mention here and tax regulations unique to your specific situation, therefore, unless a CPA or other tax professional is reading this and then responds with other questions for you, I think it highly unlikely that you will receive a satisfactory answer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 09:49 PM
    I would need to know your total income picture to answer!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 05:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by btk
    I cashed in my 401K. I had them take out 35%. Should this cover all taxes? I live in Alabama. Or am I still going to owe more when I file? The 35% covers the penaty also.
    Early withdrawal is subject to 10% penalty except for the purposes allowed by the IRS. Also, the withdrawal will be taxed as your regular income.
    Now for example, for a Single the taxable income from $31,850 to $77,100 is taxed at 25%. So by adding 401k withdrawal if the gross income exceeds $85,850 ($77,100 plus deductions $8,750), only then the person will be in 28% range.
    So you decide yourself if 35% covers the penalty also.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Well said, MukatA!
    btk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    Early withdrawal is subject to 10% penalty except for the purposes allowed by the IRS. Also, the the withdrawal will be taxed as your regular income.
    Now for example, for a Single the taxable income from $31,850 to $77,100 is taxed at 25%. So by adding 401k withdrawal if the gross income exceeds $85,850 ($77,100 plus deductions $8,750), only then the person will be in 28% range.
    So you decide yourself if 35% covers the penalty also.

It sounds like I would be in the 25% tax bracket. Thank you so much for your advise. Hopefully, I'll be covered.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k penalties and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

If I decide not to roll over my 401k what will the tax % and penalty % be?

401k penalties [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is switching jobs and we do not know which route to take for his 401k He has 30,000.00 in 401k Do we roll it into a cd or ira ?If so can we withdrawl out of the cd or ira without paying federal or state income taxes on it or should we just withdraw it straight out of the 401k. We...

401k penalties [ 2 Answers ]

I recently left a temp job (2 years) and have about 25k in the 401k. While I know that the smart move is to roll the 401k into an IRA, I could actually use the money for some home expenses. I am in the 28% tax bracket. How much of the 25k could I expect to see after taxes/penalties?

401k penalties [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering if you can tell me what the total penalty and taxes will be if I withdraw $8500. From my 401k? I am recently divorced and really need money to replace my car (unfortunatly I can't afford a car payment right now). Thanks

401k penalties [ 2 Answers ]

I just lost my job after 32 years... what is the best way to handle my 401k without losing everything to taxes/penalties... I will need to withdraw some money to pay off some debt... answer needed asap thanks

View more questions Search