Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PlanetGuy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Did Insects Kill the Dinosaurs?
    Question regarding the following article on CNN.com

Did Insects Kill the Dinosaurs? Dated Thursday, Jan. 10, 2008 By MICHAEL D. LEMONICK
    Did Insects Kill the Dinosaurs? - TIME

I was curious about the Turonian period when there seems to be a contradiction in planetary environment where the oceans where hot but there is evidence of arctic glaciers.

Could this be due to the earth being more egg shaped at the time due to the moon's gravitational influence? (it was closer to the earth then) or some other affect on the earths circumference?

If indeed this is the case then the outer crust of the earth would be much thinner at the equators and thicker at the Polar Regions. The thinner outer regions would be more prone to crustal movement and mantel influence creating the massive volcanism but the Polar Regions would be more stable allowing the build-up of massive glaciers in Antarctica?

Does this make any sense?

Thanks!

Ken King
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Feb 1, 2008, 09:24 AM
    No at least it does not make sense to me .
    Death of dinos must have taken place due to environmental changes and due to lack of food, as reported and written in the literature available, but after there death ,they must have been eaten by those ants and insects as the article says.

Latest research are reporting manythings... I just wonder ,if the laws of physics and chemistry ramain the same... ever
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sovaira
    latest research are reporting manythings.........................i just wonder ,if the laws of of physics and chemistry ramain the same ................ever
    Absent evidence to suggest specific changes in the laws of physics and chemistry, it's reasonable to assume they do not change. So far that assumption has turned out to be right and assuming that physical laws stay the same has allowed scientists to make accurate predictions over and over. No reason to doubt it...
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Wow! What an interesting article! It's amazing to me that you can infer the presence of glaciers by looking at the chemical balance of oxygen isotopes in foraminferans' shells.

But this question should have been posted in geophysics. I realized no one has been here in months, however.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Killed off the Dinosaurs [ 32 Answers ]

I don't know if I put this in the right category but me and my husband were arguing about what killed off the dinosaurs he says the ICEAGE and I say an ASTROID... Now what killed them off?

Why were dinosaurs and giant sloths so large? [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: This one has driven me mad for years and this recent discovery hasn't helped 'Scientists found evidence in Scotland of a water scorpion that was 5.2 feet long and about 3.2 feet wide. The monster lived about 350 million years ago.' My questions are simple - why were animals in...

80's kids movie with dinosaurs [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, so here's the most I can remember about it... 80's kids movie (not a series and doubt it was ever shown on tv) Had evil dinosaurs... (no not the dino riders) I think the worst (trex?) dino could shot lasers from his eyes... They could talk. Not sure if it was mental thought or if...

80s cartoon with space stationary dinosaurs? [ 3 Answers ]

There was a cartoon that had dinosaurs from a parallel plant to earth that were also stationary, like pteradactal with scissors. There was also a tape despenser on and one that blew bubbles. The were also all two colour, either black and red or black and yellow or black and blue a bit like the...

Ok: dinosaurs and creatures (90's) [ 2 Answers ]

Ok first movie I can't remember: A boy has all these toy dinosaurs and then somehow they come alive? I just remember his house being really nice and the dinosaurs like playing with his remote control car. Ehh? Second: Ok so little creatures that were really cute, in like a pet store? And the...

View more questions Search