Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2006, 04:50 AM
    AMHD Firefox Plugin
    Hi all,

Work has been slow for me recently so I have started to do a number of things to keep me entertained and hopefully pick up the occasional new skill here and there. One of the things I am thinking of having a shot at is to create a Firefox plugin for this site. It'll be a good way to give something back to the site, it's creator and it's users.

So I was just wondering, what would you like to be able to see in a plugin? Some of the things I am thinking of so far are:
    • Search functionality
      Like the search engine but hopefully I'll be able to add a few extra features than just a plain search. A search for new topics maybe? Search by user name etc.
    • Live Bookmarks
      Nearly all Firefox users will be familar with live bookmarks. For those not familar with them, Live bookmarks are similar to regular ones - they point to a site and you click the bookmark to be taken to that site. But with live bookmarks, the bookmarks can point to "live" data. For example, a BBC News live bookmark points to the latest headlines and updates whenever a new headline is added, a blog live bookmark would show you the newest posts. Hopefully we could get some bookmarks that would show you the latest 10 questions posted in a certain category.
    • Something to check for new private messages possibly?
    I don't know exactly what is possible so any suggested features (and the ones above) will involve a bit of investigation by me to see if it's possible or not. Also all the features will be going through admin to see if he disagrees with any of them. I don't want to suck up all his bandwidth with this tool!

So, any suggestions anyone?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2006, 04:15 AM
    There was a good search suggestion here.

Another thing: The search tool (even advanced) here does not play well when searching for words in quotes.

A true boolian where we could use "words in quotes" AND, OR, NOT would be nice.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Good suggestions Rick. I'll see what I can do.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 03:53 AM
    Also, I now see that searching with a term or terms by username also does not work well either.

I was looking for the thread where curlyben suggested a gmail add-on that allowed for storing large files online.

I searched the term GMAIL by user CURLYBEN and got 0 hits. I know ben has mentioned gmail googles of times :p
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 08:23 AM
    I also notice that the search function does not prioritize whether the search term(s) is in the title or the body. I'd think showing hits that are in the title should be at the top of the hit list.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 10, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Do you mean This Thread, Rick ;)
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 08:36 AM
    Yeah, that's it. I was looking for it to refer to the guy who wanted to share the 1+ GB file with his buddy... looks like it might be an option for him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox 1.5.0.4 Plugin Problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I'm currently using Firefox 1.5.0.4 for the mac OSX. I just got a new macbook and I installed Windows Media Player, but for some reason I can't play movies on ebaumsworld. It tries to search for a plugin and can't find one. It asks if I'd like to locate and install one manually, and when I do...

Firefox plugin problem! [ 4 Answers ]

I'm having problems viewing videos on the internet with Firefox and reluctantly have to use internet explorer. I'm asked for a plugin but the system can't find the video plugin automatically. Manually I'm lost. Can somebody tell me the name of the plugin and a better site to download it from

Firefox plugin to allow FTP Uploads? [ 3 Answers ]

I've got an ftp account setup whereby I give a special link and someone can put files into a folder of my website. Works like a charm in IE (for both uploading and downloading via FTP), but with Firefox, users can only download. I can't find anything about it, but maybe I'm not searching the...

View more questions Search