Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Quotes that have influenced your life
    Hello all! I've been abundantly blessed by my virtual coffee chats with so many of you in this wonderful forum on Books and Literature! (The Relationship forum is fun too, but this is where inspiration comes from... "the stuff dreams are made of" :) )

Anyway... We all have favorite quotes, quotes that have touched a chord in our hearts and minds, quotes that have influenced our decisions, inspired us to go that extra mile, give us courage to face the day, and shown us what real living is like.

Lets share these divine inspirations with our little world here - on this little posting. I'll start with one of my all-time favorites...

Being a star-gazer myself and being the proud owner of a tempestuous personal history, this is one of my favorites - it reminds me that no matter what is swirling around me at a given time, I can get through it.

"The most tempestuous wind cannot disturb the quiet of the stars."

Literary wishes and Shakespearean dreams,
    HistorianChick
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
    "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." Unknown
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657
    "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." Unknown
    Wow... that's prolific... wow.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 01:33 PM
    It isn't a literary quote, but it is one I live by at work nearly everyday.

"Failure to prepare on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." - Unknown
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 04:24 PM
    "Life is not about being dealt a good hand , it is about playing a bad hand well"

Danish proverb
    raggablue Posts: 347, Reputation: 22

Jan 11, 2008, 04:25 PM
    "second thoughts make liars of us all"
    "as long as there is hate, there will be people to hate"
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 05:04 PM
    I also like this one...

"I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left"

Unknown
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Unknown...

The only people who never do anything wrong are the people who never do anything.
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Quotes and sayings that I have come to reflect on, be inspired by, love to hear and fall short of, from time to time.

"I'm Sorry"

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" Abraham Lincoln

"Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing" Abraham Lincoln

"Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in" Andrew Jackson

"You can have everything in life that you want if you just give enough other people what they want" Zig Ziglar

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great" Mark Twain

"I made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it short" Blaise Pascal

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them" Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Once a woman has forgiven her man, she must not reheat his sins for breakfast" Marlene Dietrich

"Without forgiveness life is governed by an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation" Roberto Assagioli

"We promise according to our hopes, and perform according to our fears" Francois duc de la Rochefoucauld

"Don't be buffaloed by experts and elites. Experts often possess more data than judgment. Elites can become so inbred that they produce hemophiliacs who bleed to death as soon as they are nicked by the real world" Lesson from Colin Powell

"Don't be afraid to challenge the pros, even in their own backyard. Learn from the pros, observe them, seek them out as mentors and partners. But remember that even the pros may have leveled out in terms of their learning and skills. Sometimes even the pros can become complacent and lazy. Leadership does not emerge from blind obedience to anyone. Xerox's Barry Rand was right on target when he warned his people that if you have a yes-man working for you, one of you is redundant. Good leadership encourages everyone's evolution." Lesson from Colin Powell

"Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position goes, your ego goes with it. Too often, change is stifled by people who cling to familiar turfs and job descriptions. One reason that even large organizations wither is that managers won't challenge old, comfortable ways of doing things. But real leaders understand that, nowadays, every one of our jobs is becoming obsolete. The proper response is to obsolete our activities before someone else does. Effective leaders create a climate where people's worth is determined by their willingness to learn new skills and grab new responsibilities, thus perpetually reinventing their jobs. The most important question in performance evaluation becomes not, "How well did you perform your job since the last time we met?" but, "How much did you change it?" Lesson from Colin Powell

Just to share a few...
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 12:18 PM
    What about the en's classic from A Christmas Carol?

"...there is nothing in the world so irresitstably contagious as laughter and good humor."

Or, Shakespeare...

"When you do dance, I wish you
    A wave o'th' sea, that you might ever do
    Nothing but that;"
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 12:38 PM
    "If you have to ask how much something costs, you probably can't afford it." (I think it was Rockefeller but don't hold me to that.)
    granmaboat Posts: 21, Reputation: 6

Jan 12, 2008, 12:46 PM
    These are some I have passed along to my grandchildren, I don't know the origins:

Charity begins at home, with a smile and a kind word.

Be open, Be kind, Be careful and take your time.

May your words be sweet today for tomorrow you may have to eat them.

May you always have a song in your heart and harmony in your life.

A stitch in time saves nine.

Merry meet; merry part

Smile and the world smiles with you; weep and you weep alone.

Forgive, as you would hope for forgiveness

Righty tite-y; Lefty loosy.(opens and closes everything)

Try to stay closes to your family, especially grandmas.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by granmaboat
    These are some I have passed along to my grandchildren, I don't know the origins:

Righty tite-y; Lefty loosy.(opens and closes everything)
    I'm embarrassed to say how often I use this. :)

Here's another favorite: "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Jan 12, 2008, 02:12 PM
    This is not a quote but I read this at probably once, twice a week. This is something I think we all need as a gently reminder every so often. For me that... every so often... is once a week (short term memory, maybe? )

Enjoy...

To let go does not mean to stop caring, it means I can't do it for someone else.

To let go is not to cut myself off, it's the realization that I don't control another.

To let go is not to enable, but to allow learning from natural consequences.

To let go is to admit powerlessness, which means the outcome is not in my hands.

To let go is not to try to change or blame another, I can only change myself.

To let go is not to care for, but to care about.

To let go is not to fix, but to be supportive.

To let go is not to judge, but to allow another to be a human being.

To let go is not to be in the middle arranging all the outcomes, but to allow others to affect their own outcomes.

To let go is not to be protective, it is to permit another to face reality.

To let go is not to deny but to accept.

To let go is not to nag, scold, or argue, but to search out my own shortcomings and to correct them.

To let go is not to adjust everything to my desires but to take each day as it comes and to cherish the moment.

To let go is not to criticize and regulate anyone but to try to become what I dream I can be

To let go is not to regret the past but to grow and live for the future.

To let go is to fear less and love more.

Author Unknown
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 01:44 PM
    "Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    -- Mark Twain

Was reminded of the truth of this quote today...

Here's to everyone truly living life to its fullest!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 01:49 PM
    "Who is John Galt?" --Ayn Rand

If you've ever read Atlas Shrugged--that quote is a daily reminder that anyone can stand up and do what's right, and in doing so, can change the world.
    mraquino21 Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Jan 15, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Be smarter than the equiptment that you are working with

I got that from the US Army in Basic Training. LOL
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 02:12 PM
    "HistorianChick agrees: "Atlas Shrugged" twice in the space of a few days.... I just may have to pick that one up too. Crud. There goes my paycheck."

I got my copy really cheap on half.com - the shipping cost more than the book.
    granmaboat Posts: 21, Reputation: 6

Jan 17, 2008, 08:38 AM
    "Keep your mind ever on the Star, but let your eyes watch over your footsteps...", The Kybalion.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Knowledge is power!

Grok

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has technology influenced our customs and ethics? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not very clear about whether technology has changed our customs or ethics. If so, please present some examples. Thanks.

Need Quotes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to make some cute christmas gifts by having shirts made from an online site, but I'm stumped on what to put on them. On mine the front will say, Because... And the back will say, I'm the Bride and That's Why I'm looking for one of the mother of the bride (my mom) thought about...

? About quotes [ 8 Answers ]

Hi , I am new to the new construction cleaning business and want to know if anyone can tell me if when the quote for a job by sq footage , is the garage included, or should be included/? Doing a job now and his quote did not add garage which is an extra 800sq ft. this doesn't seem right , that he...

View more questions Search