Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jesbcs2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Filing for full custody
    I was just wondering if anyone knows how I would go about filing for full custody of my son my husband don't know I'm doing this I'm also filing for a divorce too so if you could help me I would greatly appreciate it thanks so much jesbcs
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Are you doing the paperwork yourself or are you hiring an attorney as you didn't say. If you are hiring an attorney then you ask for full custody of your son in the original divorce petition papers. If you are doing the paperwork yourself you ask for full custody in the original petition papers. Also, at the time you file your original divorce paperwork with the court you need to ask for child support if you want to have dad pay.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Its all part of the same process. You need an attorney to file the petitions.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 12:03 PM
    I disagree. She can do the filing herself with forms that are available. I've seen it done lots of times. You don't have to involve an attorney all the time. I would not recommend using one of those do it yourself kits though if she is anticipating any kind of fight from the husband as it is just too risky.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    I disagree. She can do the filing herself with forms that are available.
    She said her husband doesn't know about it. Which indicates a contentious divorce. Yes, if both parties are in agreement about ending the marriage and dividing the marital property and children, then it can be done with standard forms. That clearly is not the case here.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Be smart and consult a lawyer, because I suspect your husband will not go quietly into the sunset.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single mother filing for full custody [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My name is Jen, My daughter was born may2nd and her father signed paternity papers so that she would have his last name. Stupid of me I know. I want to file for full custody but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Once he is served court papers I'm afraid he will try and take her. What do I do?

Can he get full custody? [ 1 Answers ]

One of my best friends has an ex girlfriend who is 3 years older than him (she is 24, he was 20 when this all happened, and just turned 21) and who is pregnant and from what I have been told, mentally unstable. He said okay, eventually after begging her to abort, since he is mentally not able to...

Full custody [ 1 Answers ]

Hi me an my boyfriend Want to go for full custody with his soon to be 5 Year old son. We just need to buy a house move out of the house we are sharing with a friend. Anyway I know its hard to get custody for a father usually courts favor the mother. The kid just is not paid attention to since she...

Filing for Full Custody [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is Tempestt Moore, I'm 19 and will soon be a single mother. I am needing some very desperate and helpful information. How do I go about filing for full custody of my baby and having his father relinquish his parental rights? I am needing help with this because I don't know how to exactly...

Filing full custody [ 2 Answers ]

I was told today that I could file full custody of my 2 children because my husband abandoned them. He has visitation every other week and he hasn't seen them for 7-8 weeks now. He never returns their calls and he calls maybe once every 4-5 weeks. Can I and should I take him back to court for...

View more questions Search