Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Jan 11, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Fluorescent bulbs on dimmer?
    I put 11 recessed can lights in my new kitchen. They work great, but obviously they draw a lot of power (they're each 100w). Are there any fluorescent bulbs out there that will work well on a dimmer? I tried the standard type that I've replaced other bulbs with, but they flicker when the dimmer is used. Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Unfortunately there is nothing out there dimmer wise that works on these bulbs. They draw a much lower amount of energy than you're 100 Watters do and are not designed to work on dimmers as dimmers require a higher energy source to properly work. If I'm not wrong the bulb packaging should state that they are not recommended for use with dimmers or certain kinds of photocells. You just might have to bite the bullet and ditch the dimmer if you want to save energy.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Sorry twinkie:

Dimmable compact florescents

http://www.goodmart.com/products/916892.htm

I doubt that 11 of them can be placed in parallel. On that site, they suggested a 600 W dimmer for what I expect to be one light. This makes sense to me.

I would look for LED repacements such as these:
    120V AC LED Replacement Household Light Bulbs

LEDS typically won't burn out, but will slowly start losing intensity.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Thanks KISS. Didn't know that they came out with dimmable compacts! I agree also with the LED lights. I have some of them and they are magnificent. Can't say enough good things about them either.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 01:42 PM
    They do have dimmable compact fluorescents as mentioned above. I would try them. But honestly I still use halogen PAR bulbs in recessed lights I want to dim. I haven't found an energy efficient alternative that I like.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 06:53 PM
    They also make 1000 watt dimmers that are single gang devices.
    You could user a 600 watt dimmer if each bulb consumes less than 54.5 watts,
    If not, where is the big savings?
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 07:20 PM
    For 11 100 watt bulbs you would need a dimmer of at least 1375 watts. They Make 1500 watt dimmers too, cost around $50 last I checked.
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Looked at original post and see 100 watts, I was thinking of the dimmer for the dimming compact flourescents and would like to believe they draw less than 50 Watts.
    Anybody got an idea what they consume? Maybe the 600 watt dimmer will work?
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 08:19 PM
    The CFL's consume a lot less in terms of watts, but I'll bet that the ballast, since it's an inductive load may require a higher rated dimmer to survive.

We used phase angle Fired w/ current limiting triacs into a transformer load (120:40 VAC). The semiconductor fuses ((I^2)t) were rated for 25A. Load fuse considerably less. Max load 300 W tops, so you get the idea. I had them switch to DC power supplies and you get some value added functions just for heating a resistive load.
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Jan 13, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Yeah, we should have thought this ceiling group through a little better before installing. Because of the watage a standard 600w dimmer would not work - it gets too hot, so we had to go with a 1500w. Naturally a steep price for a light switch. I'm just trying to find a way to cut the usage down in that room since we spend so much time in there, the ligts are always on - trying to be a bit green.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 06:30 AM
    They do make a 1000 Watt dimmer in a single gang device.
    Yes they do make dimmable CFL's. Google "dimmable cfl's" you will get several choices.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 09:35 AM
    It might be possible to use dimming ballasts controlled by a single 0-10 V signal or a lighting system such as this one:

http://www.lutron.com/News/pdf/TFMJu...rprnt40706.pdf

You can start at Lutron Electronics, Inc. - Dimmers And Lighting Controls.

I'll warn you, it will be expensive, so calculate your payback period.

I think the syem when engineered properly can adjust the intensity of the lamps depending on the light from windows, etc.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Here is a dimming ballast that will work on CFL's

Products

One of the methods of control is essentially a conventional dimmer. Controlled hot.

It may be possible to use the ecosystem with CFL's because somewhere I read that they can combine a ballast with a module to match lamps not covered.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed1500
    Yeah, we should have thought this ceiling group through a little better before installing. Because of the watage a standard 600w dimmer would not work - it gets too hot, so we had to go with a 1500w. Naturally a steep price for a light switch. I'm just trying to find a way to cut the usage down in that room since we spend so much time in there, the ligts are always on - trying to be a bit green.
    A few simple solutions:

1. How often do you use the dimmer? Using the lights at less than full intensity will cut down on energy consumption
    2. How often do you use the dimmer? If the lights are usually at full brightness, remove the dimmer, and install regular CFL R/PAR bulbs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many terminals needed for Fluorescent dimmer [ 4 Answers ]

I am a mechanical engineer and going to design a electrical fluorescent dimmer. The problems what I need to know are 1) how many terminals needed? I know 3 terminals for dimmer power input (L, N, E) but don't know how many terminals for ballast (the ballast is still required for this dimmer) and...

Fluorescent bulb life [ 10 Answers ]

I recently remodeled my basement into an office and I installed nine new fluorescent fixtures in the ceiling. They are your basic two bulb (@ 48 inches long) hanging shop lights. I purchased all new bulbs ( GE kitchen & bath F40T12). The package states that they should last 9 years (six hours per...

New Fluorescent Light bulbs and their use [ 9 Answers ]

I’m sure this has been asked … but I am looking at these 13Watt replacement bulbs that are 60 Watt replacements. Now, I have light fixtures in my house, which are all labeled with Use 60 Watt Maximum. Can I use a higher Fluorescent (and hence get more Light Output) into some of my darker...

Spiral Fluorescent lamp [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a Hampton Bay Outdoor Wall-mounted lamp with motion-sensor. The installation comes with a 100 watt incandescent lamp. The fixture works as described. I replaced the incandescent lamp with a 23 watt spiral fluorescent lamp (100 watt incand. eq.). It works as described except when it...

Fluorescent dimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard that dimmer switches should not be used with fluorescent lights (kitchen). True or not? I haven't found anything in the books that I have. Are there dimmer switches made just for fluorescents? Thanks for the help. Jersey

View more questions Search