Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevierayp Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Excess contribution to a traditional 401K
    I was doing my taxes and found that I had contributed too much to my traditional IRA
    $4595.00 or 595.00 too much.
    Now I have to pay a 6% penalty every year until that money is withdrawn...
    Won't I get a penalty if I remove money from my IRA?
    What is the best solution to this problem??

Getting to where I hate taxes more and more...

Any help would be appreciated..
    Thanks

Steve
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Jan 15, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Is this from a 401K account or an IRA you opened and are contributing to? I overpaid into my 401K account once (or my employer did) and was refunded the excess with no penalty other than the regular taxes I owed. I would contact the company you have your account with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ca state tax deduction from 401k contribution [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to 401k. If I enroll in 401, does it reduce only Federal tax liability, or CA state tax liability as well. How can I compute what tax I will save if I put 3000 In 401k. Any helpful sites/ calculators? Regards, JKG

Excess Contribution in 401k plan [ 1 Answers ]

What does the term excess contribution mean?

401k excess deferral and penalty [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I recently changed job. I had already contriobuted the maximum 15000 with my first employer. Since my new employer gives match, I wanted to contribute to 401k and get the match. I called the plan admin from first employer and they told me that they can send the excess money back. ...

Who keeps the Excess [ 5 Answers ]

When my contractor was through with the job of siding he had 4 squares of siding left ($150 a square)along with extra j channels and outside corners and starter strips... who gets to keep these?I assumed I did because he used my money to order an pay for them... he says its him because I paid for...

401K Contribution Timing [ 2 Answers ]

I have an employer who has been deducting my 401K contributions from each paycheck since March of this year. None of these deductions are showing up in my 401K account on the third party administrators website and they don't know anything. I've trolled the IRS website, but have not been able to...

View more questions Search