Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrslulu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Buddhism
    How do Buddhism fit in the Eastern Religion element?
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 07:16 AM
    mrslulu,

Buddhism is more a philosophy for life than a religion. It is an agreement we make with ourselves to follow a particular way of life. And it mainly consists of taking care of ourselves and encouraging others to do the same. Buddhism has become very wide spread. There are lighter elements of it that some people practise like Zen Buddhism which I am quite fond of, and there is a more serious element to it which some people believe to be a more religious aspect of it. I don't think it needs to fit in with anything. Many religious people practise Buddhism as a way of life.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Sounds like an assignment question to me...
    lexgs Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 11:50 PM
    Many in the West claim that Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion, and while it is true that Buddhism is significantly philosophical, the same is true for any other religion. What makes Buddhism a target for such a claim is that it is a so called non-theistic religion. In Buddhism no deity is central, which is not to say absent. This particularity facilitates conceptually separating the underlying Buddhist philosophy from the over all religion of which culture is undeniably a part. Once a Westerner extracts the philosophical elements of Buddhism and incorporates them in his or her Western lifestyle, you get something different, and that's all right, but then you can make any claims about Buddhism which might not really have anything to do with Buddhism practiced in the East.

I'm not sure I'm answering any questions--I just think that Buddhism as being just a philosophy is a Western misunderstanding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does Buddhism believe in? [ 14 Answers ]

What does Buddhism believe in?

The Origin of Buddhism [ 5 Answers ]

What is the origin of buddhism?

Buddhism question [ 13 Answers ]

I have been studying the dharma, and have recently finished reading the tibetan book of the dead. They say if we are an enlightened individual we will be liberated, and are born no more. But most of us are born again either in a god like realm, or as a human again, or an animal, a hungry ghost or...

Buddhism [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know a little bit about buddhism. I am not a buddhist but someone left a very nice buddha statue and what appears to be two lion statues at my door. Also along with these they left other little statues of buddha in different poses and on the bottom of them it reads wealth, money,...

Buddhism Religion [ 2 Answers ]

What are historical figures and events for Buddhism?

View more questions Search