Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wumply Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2003, 03:52 PM
    Meaning of a character in a Windows path
    Hello:

I had this path the other day: C:\Docume~1\Customer\Locals~1\Temp

I have been told the ~ symbol means that the name in this context or use has been shortened, but what does the '1' mean?

John
    DylanFogle Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2003, 09:56 PM
    I know this answer is late but whatever, I'm new .;D
    First this is the DOS 8.3 naming convention. Basically all dos file names have to fit in side the 8character.3character xxxxxxxx.xxx style for dos to recognise a files name. So to deal with the fact that fat32 to can read longer names dos just shortens the name to fit in its way of doing things.
    So yea the tilde ~ is the first part of the name being shortened, that will be the same for all shortened file names, but you can't just have all the file names just adding a ~. What if you had two files with similar long names, well dos takes the first file and adds ~1, the next ~2 and so on. So really its just a way for dos to keep track of file names it changes.
    So there is my answer...
    I was kindly invited to these fine forums by Dan, So Hi Dan! Well I will try to help out as much as I can. And if you would like to check out my websitehttp://www.dylanfogle.com, I sure would appreciate it.
    wumply Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2003, 04:46 PM
    Dylan:

Hey.. it's just so great to KNOW the answer to my question. Thanks!

John
    QQapple Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Sep 30, 2003, 05:15 AM
    Some very lomg time ago when my computer crashed, the computer renamed al my files using the DOS names(since it was so long ago.. I can't quite remember what they were... however I'll just make up some examples)

Journal of Chocolate- Perfecting an Ice-cream Cake.pdf
    Journal of Computer- Security.pdf
    Journal of Music- Classical music verses pop.pdf
    Journal of Scienc- AIDS and Immunity.pdf
    Journal of...

All were renamed to

JOURNA~1.pdf
    JOURNA~2.pdf
    JOURNA~3.pdf
    JOURNA~4.pdf
    JOURN~16.pdf

(as you could probably see, this was very inconvenient!)

Lets say if this was to happen again... is it possible to retrieve the original file names without having to manually retype all of them ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The network path was not found [ 12 Answers ]

I try to connect my laptop to the desktop at home, after connecting all the required wires, the internet sharing is working, I can using the laptop online. The problem is when I clicked "My network place" I could not see both computers, therefore I cannot shares all the files from both...

Is he leading me up the garden path? [ 13 Answers ]

Help!! I'm hoping you can give me some advice and feedback! Some months ago, I wrote about a guy who broke up with me (see link below) Well, he has reappeared in my life, and I'm a little confused. I'll try to keep this simple. Since the amicable breakup (I was upset, but got on with things), we...

Network path not found ! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I've installed a fresh windows 2003 server, and created just one user for testing purpose, and shared one directory on a different partion on the same hard disk. The problem is : I can log in with the user administrator from the workstation "WIN-XP running the latest update...

Network Path Not Found [ 1 Answers ]

I setup ADSL modem+router+firewall from one client computer on win 2003 domain server. Internet sharing is working fine within the network with IP class 192.168.16.x But the problem raise when I want to browse the mapping drive that had been set on the client computer I set the ADSL modem. I got...

View more questions Search