Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bearvsjoel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 10:08 AM
    How do I transfer my probation to another state
    How do I transfer my probation to another state?
    faurote03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Hi. I'm assuming you are on probation in the state that you are currently in, in which case you must get permission from your current probation officer on how to proceed. Generally, probation is court ordered and the probation officer must get authorization to let you leave the state and take up residence in another one from the judge or court that sentenced you. Make sure you have followed all the provisions of your current probation, whatever they are, and present a good case when going before your probation officer with this request. If the probation officer is satisfied with your progress, he/she could ask the court to consider your probation being transferred to another state. Good luck!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Hello bears:

I wrote this just below your post. I guess you missed it. I'll write it again for you.

--------------------------------------------

Ask your PO what the rules are, and then ask him for a written copy. Without the rules you'll get nowhere. You'll be able to determine whether he's on your side or not. At least he'll know that you want to transfer, so he's not going to be surprised when he receives your request. This whole thing is about avoiding surprises. Cops HATE surprises.

Next; don't go yourself, but get a job and a place to live in the other state. Write the probation agency that will be doing your supervision. Introduce yourself. Tell them about your job, and your place to live. Tell them about your crime and how sorry you are. Tell them that you are about to request a transfer, and wanted to give them a heads up.

Then, make your request in writing to your present PO. Having read the rules, you'll KNOW that you meet the criteria. Therefore, in your request, tell them that you, indeed, meet the criteria for transfer according to rule such and such... cite the rule.

A request formed in that manner will be awfully hard to turn down. If it IS turned down, you've got your ducks all lined up for an appeal.

excon
    NDEGERMAN Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 07:35 AM

I live in Minnesota I want to move to Nevada I have family (mom and dad) who live in Nevada"las vegas" I am on probation felony want to move to my parents place how do I convince my probation officer to let me

Sep 22, 2009, 07:36 AM
    [i live in Minnesota I want to move to Nevada I have family (mom and dad) who live in Nevada"las vegas" I am on probation felony want to move to my parents place how do I convince my probation officer to let me
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 07:38 AM
    Hello N:

Do you see the post I wrote right above yours? Read it.

excon

Sep 22, 2009, 07:40 AM
    [i did read it but the probation officers up here are weird and I want to know my legal right to get a transfer before I request one
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 07:52 AM
    Hello again, N:

You need to SLOW down and take a BIG breath. Then you need to READ the stuff I post... Because, I've already GIVEN you the answer. Your LEGAL RIGHTS are spelled out in the policy and procedures manual for the probation department... If you want to see them, you need to see that document.

Simply because they HAVE procedures for transfer, means you have a LEGAL RIGHT to seek one. Whether you fit the criteria is another matter.

excon

PS> Probation officers are weird EVERYWHERE.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 08:22 AM

Please stop posting the same question - asked and answered.
    lilshawn Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 14, 2011, 09:22 PM
    Thank you you've been very helpful
    ednacarol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 06:36 AM
    Is there a way my brother can get his transfer of his probation done sooner? He is here on a visit and is getting his probation transferred here, is there a way he can be here while the probation is getting transferred? Instead of paying for him to go back and forth
    FELICIA4499 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
    Hey, I am Felicia. I am 26 Years old and got my Probation transferred already from my old County (MARICOPA COUNTY) to the one I am currently residing in now(PINAL COUNTY). But I recently got arrested again for Driving on Suspended a M-1 here in AZ and my PO (Thank god) did not violate me:) But I know that if I keep living in AZ I won't ever get out of the system with drugs and driving its bound to happen again... I am sure you can relate... anyway I read your last message you posted and it was very informative thank you, but so does that basically mean that in order to be successful w/my request to Cali I would have to be up to date with all my Fine's, Classes and Community Service? Than they would consider it? Just curious before I asked my PO because I don't want to be shot down and then have him be on my more thinking I am going to flee the state you know? Well thank you so much for your help... Sincerely,
    Felicia Stellato of Mesa, AZ
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
    Hello F:

You'll just have to request a transfer and hope they'll be OK with it. Or, get caught up, and THEN request a transfer.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer of Probation within the State [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been involved in a long process leading up to his trial, and through all this we have learned that the success rate in Johnson County, Kansas for individuals on probation is ridiculously low. Neither of us have enough money saved up to just up and move to another state, but...

Transfer of probation to another state [ 32 Answers ]

What is the procedure to transfer probation to another state

Probation transfer into another state [ 5 Answers ]

My 19 year old son has 3 years of probation for a deferred sentence. He wants to go to a technical college in another state. He has been accepted already. Can his probation be transferred to the other state while he goes to school? We do not have any relatives there. We have heard that he would...

Probation transfer to another state [ 1 Answers ]

I want to move to California. I am on probation so I would need to transfer from Texas to California. How do I do that and how long would it take?

How to transfer probation to another state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a drug charge that I am on the thing where if you go through probabtion successfully they take the charge off your record. I am clean and doing the right things going to school full time, working, I live in MI. my mother who is ill and needs help day by day has just moved to Florida...

View more questions Search