Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    genevieve6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Lived and worked in NY, lived in NJ worked in NY in 2007
    I know I should probably get an accountant for my takes this year, but I figured I would ask. For the first part of the year I lived and worked in NYC until August when I had an apartment in both NYC and NJ :( . Then for the rest of the year I lived in NJ and worked in NYC. I also started paying on my student loans in July. How exactly would I go about filing??

Please help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Genevieve6:

Because of the student loan interest, you will have to file either Form 1040A or Form 1040.

You will also need to file NJ and NY state tax returns. You probably will NOT owe any NJ taxes because of the credit you get for paying NY and NYC city taxes (the NYC tax return is embedded in the NY state tax form) will completely offset your NJ tax obligation.

I can prepare these returns for you for a very reasonable fee. I have multiple clients from the NJ/NY area, and I can provide references.

If you are interested, email me at [email protected] with your phone number. After we talk, I will quote you a fee.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 02:51 AM
    AtlantaTaxExpert:
    What if only NJ return is filed? For 2007, Genevieve6 is not resident of NJ and as non resident does not have any NJ source income (unless he is NJ domiciled).
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 12:08 PM
    MukatA:

First, Genevieve6 is female; I spoke with her on the phone.

Second, assume you meant "only NY return is filed".

Third, she MAY be able to get away with NOT filing a NJ return, but NY return is mandated because I guarantee that her NYC-based employer IS withholding NY state and probably NYC income taxes.

If she fails to file a NJ return, there will probably be no consequences because she will likely owe NO NJ taxes due to the NY state/NYC income tax credit offset for 2007.

However, there IS a renter's rebate that Genevieve6 may forfeit by not filing.

Filing the NJ return is NOT that hard, and, at worst, it is a break-even proposition (cost of preparing the return vs the renter's rebate), so WHY avoid it?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 09:21 PM
    That is your right!

I just see no logic in NOT filing a legally required return when NO taxes will be due.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 05:11 AM
    If it is legally required, yes she must file the return.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 09:20 AM
    If she made more than the NJ personal exemption while living in NJ, then, yes, it IS legally required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lived in NJ for 6 months and worked in NYC and then in PA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I lived in NJ (no income in NJ) from Jan 2006 to June 2006 and worked in NYC during this period. I then moved to PA for the rest of the year. The year prior (in 2005) I lived in NJ and worked in NYC the entire year and I did not have to pay anything to NJ. But this year in 2006 when I do...

Lived and Worked in two States [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I lived in Idaho from Jan. 06 through August 06. And in August moved to Utah, where I currently live. How do I file both my State and Federal Taxes?:confused: I understand that I will need to file in both States for state taxes... which form do I use... and are they pretty self...

Lived in 2 states but worked in one. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I lived and worked in VA for 8 months and then moved to NC where I bought a new home. I did not work in NC but I itemized taxes from the new home (real estate and mortgage Interest) . Do I file both states?

Lived in NJ, worked in NY [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again ATE, I worked in a company in NY for 3 months on OPT (then moved to CA). But like many other people I was living in an apartment in NJ for 2 months (1 month in friends home). All my income was from my company in NY. Should I file for only NY state or for NJ state as well? ...

Lived and worked in different state than spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I apologize for the question: it's a complicated situation, and I'm afraid I'll have to pay for professional advice. But, in case somebody could help me, for free... :D , here is the situation: -husband and wife both work and live in MA. -husband gets a job in CT, while wife goes...

View more questions Search