Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dyancey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2006, 09:25 AM
    Expensing Inventory
    Can you expense inventory as soon as it is received even though it is still setting on the shelf and has not been used? What happens at the end of the year when the my MRP system states I have a million dollars worth of inventory? Is this legal?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2006, 02:48 PM
    You can't expense inventory until you have sold it.

At the end of the year, it says you have 1 million in inventory. Do you? I don't see the problem. Yes it is legal. Heck, you could have 100 million in inventory.
    dyancey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2006, 04:36 AM
    Re:Expensing Inventory
    Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry I did not make myself clear on this issue. My inventory is MRO supplies & high dollar maintenance items/parts. It is my understanding that we are expensing it as soon as it is received, even though it has not been issued or put on the machine. My legal question is, I have a million dollars worth of inventory that has been expensed but is still on the shelves. You responded that a company can not expense inventory until it is sold, I would think the same holds true for maintenance inventory as well. So my question is if we have already expensed it & still have it on the shelve is that legal?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2006, 10:10 PM
    From the sounds of it, no it is not.

You cannot expense your supplies (maintenance replacement parts) until you actually use them.

If your company has an auditor come in, he/she would most likely find this out.

However, you shouldn’t be doing this.
    kokeo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 10:35 AM
    When the raw material are purchased they are recorded as a expense

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Perpetual Inventory [ 3 Answers ]

Perpetual Inventory system Number of units Unit cost Unit sale price Mar.1 Beginning Inventory 50 15 Mar.2 Purchase 12 20 Mar.8 Sale 40 36

Inventory cost [ 2 Answers ]

When Inventory is purchased, should the cost be placed under "Cost of Good" or "Inventory"? Is another option to make a category of COG under each inventory type? I/E: COG-hats, COG-coats etc. Thanks for your help. Don [email protected]

Perpetual Inventory system [ 1 Answers ]

Apr 2. Britt received an $18,000 invoice from one of its suppliers. Terms were 2/10 n/30, FOB shipping Point. Britt paid the freight bill amounting to $2,000. 4.Britt returned $2,500 of the merchandise billed on April 2 because it was defective. 5. Britt sold $8,000 of merchandise on account,...

Perpetual inventory method [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to figure out how to journalize some information using the Perpetual inventory method. Here is the information. a) Sold merchandise on account, for $10,000. The cost of the merchandise sold was $4,500. b) Sold merchandise to customers who used MasterCard and VISA, $8,500. The...

Inventory Question [ 1 Answers ]

Does a decrease in inventory turnover for the current year compared to the prior year indicate an improvement in the management of inventory?

View more questions Search