Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShaunG Posts: 18, Reputation: 2
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 02:49 AM
    Fun with Magnets
    Hi Guys

Does anyone know of a material that will insulate magnetic waves? For instance, if I have a magnet and a iron spoon, is there any known material that I can put in-between them as to not let the magnet attract the spoon? Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Shaun G
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Jan 10, 2008, 06:57 AM
    yeah, try another object which is also attracted to the magnet. I believe that if you put an iron sheet between the magnet and the spoon the iron sheet will conduct the magnetic lines of force through itself. The sheet would probably need to be about 2x the length of the spoon and/or magnet though, you'll probably get some 'leakage' on the edges of the sheet.
    But this is just my intuitive response, don't have any math to back it up this early in the morning :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Magnetic fields cannot pass through a superconducting superconductor in the Meissner state or a perfect conductor. However they will just bend around it.

So, to answer your question, an infinite (or large enough to be effectively infinite) sheet of superconducting material or perfectly conducting material will do it.

Magnetic fields pass through normal metal fairly easily.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Jan 12, 2008, 08:32 AM
    I think a faraday cage will block magnetic fields as well as electric fields so surrounding the spoon with a metallic sphere should also work.
    aravinth Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jan 20, 2008, 12:42 AM
    Glass and epoxy resins can e used to insulate the magnetic effect.
    PolluxCastor Posts: 117, Reputation: 5

Jan 20, 2008, 06:31 PM
    The north pole and south pole of a magnet are connected by "magnetic lines of force". A block or sheet of iron or other magnetic material will channel the magnetic field. If the material is thick enough it will contain (block) the field.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 03:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunG
    Hi Guys

Does anyone know of a material that will insulate magnetic waves? For instance, if i have a magnet and a iron spoon, is there any known material that i can put in-between them as to not let the magnet attract the spoon? Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Shaun G
    If you want to actually experiment with a superconductor, a ceramic one that conducts at liquid nitrogen temperatures made from Yttrium, Barium, and Copper Oxide is fairly easy to do with high school science lab type equipment. Google YBa2Cu3O7 for recipes and instructions. I made one in HS as a science project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic magnets [ 2 Answers ]

I like what some research has discovered with the use of plastics in everyday application of magnets. Adjustable magnetism! It could expand into an entirely new propulsion/vehicle support mechanism. If it can be expanded to incorporate these issues, how could that be of benefit to our everyday...

Bar magnets [ 1 Answers ]

If a bar magnet swings freely from its centre what will it do

Why is iron attracted to magnets [ 2 Answers ]

Why is iron attracted to magnets? Please help me running out of time!:confused:

Magnets [ 3 Answers ]

I have magnets to keep kitchen cabinets closed. Two of the magnets have gotten very weak. How is it possible to restore the power of the magnet? Thank you!

Dodgehemi1 Can I glue magnets back in flywheel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12.5 horsepower Briggs motor. The magnets come loose from the inside of flywheel. Is it possible to glue them back in? Will it work?

View more questions Search