Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jan 4, 2006, 06:07 AM
    Restless Leg Syndrome
    Hello. My daddy doesn't have the time so Im asking for him. HE says he gets restless leg syndrome every once and awhile and would like to know what causes restless leg syndrome? Thank you.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2006, 06:22 AM
    I've suffered it for years - and have been tempted to try the new drug I've seen advertised on TV.

Here is an informative link about it's cause:
    http://www.webmd.com/content/article/66/79743.htm

And more about RLS in general here.

Jan 4, 2006, 07:01 AM
    Thank you, rick. That was very informative. Im sure my daddy will appreciate it. :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2006, 07:06 AM
    RLS shows itself in many ways... I'm curious if your father is like me:

During the day I "tap my foot" or "wiggle my leg back and forth" without really meaning to do it. I'd always thought of it as just a "nervous habit", until a few years ago when it started affecting me at night:

If I lay on my side or back, then I have a "cramped feeling" in my inner thighs up at my crotch - and my legs sort of "jerk upwards".

Similar to your father?

If he tries medication, let me know how it goes.
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 4, 2006, 06:42 PM
    I've got RLS, and sometimes its so bad my wife says I kick her and bruise her after I fall asleep. Originally I was given ZOLOFT for it, don't know why but the doc says it works for less severe cases. Well not for me. Now I take Requip, but they have to work you up by dosage (first week - .25, 2nd - .5 third - .75 and so on). Only been taking it a couple of weeks, I'll let you know how it works after my wife lets me know

Jan 4, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Rick yes I have seen my daddy jerk his legs and do just those things with his legs when he goes to sleep in his chair.
    Sunni Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Jan 13, 2006, 07:21 PM
    Neurontin for RLS
    Hi,
    I have rls, too and I take neurontin for it and it helps. I don't know what causes it, but it sure is a pain in the... leg :p when you're trying to get some sleep.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 13, 2006, 07:35 PM
    Hey crankiebabie, Sorry to hear about your dad, I do not know any one that has it, I have seen the ads on the T.V. I did find two good pages if in the event you wanted to read about it. I posted some of it below about what causes it, and the two links are below that. I hope it is in some way helpful to you and your dad.

What causes restless legs syndrome?

In most cases, the cause of RLS is unknown (referred to as idiopathic). A family history of the condition is seen in approximately 50 percent of such cases, suggesting a genetic form of the disorder. People with familial RLS tend to be younger when symptoms start and have a slower progression of the condition.

In other cases, RLS appears to be related to the following factors or conditions, although researchers do not yet know if these factors actually cause RLS.
    People with low iron levels or anemia may be prone to developing RLS. Once iron levels or anemia is corrected, patients may see a reduction in symptoms.

Chronic diseases such as kidney failure, diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and peripheral neuropathy are associated with RLS. Treating the underlying condition often provides relief from RLS symptoms.

Some pregnant women experience RLS, especially in their last trimester. For most of these women, symptoms usually disappear within 4 weeks after delivery.

Certain medications-such as antinausea drugs (prochlorperazine or metoclopramide), antiseizure drugs (phenytoin or droperidol), antipsychotic drugs (haloperidol or phenothiazine derivatives), and some cold and allergy medications-may aggravate symptoms. Patients can talk with their physicians about the possibility of changing medications.
    Researchers also have found that caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco may aggravate or trigger symptoms in patients who are predisposed to develop RLS. Some studies have shown that a reduction or complete elimination of such substances may relieve symptoms, although it remains unclear whether elimination of such substances can prevent RLS symptoms from occurring at all.

Restless Legs Syndrome Fact Sheet
    Sleep Disorders:Restless Legs Syndrome
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Jan 14, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Hi crankie, Its good that you brought up this topic, because my husband has suspected that he may have it. At night when he is sitting down watching t.v. he will complain that his legs bother him or hurt and the only way to relieve some of the discomfort is to wiggle them. Im not sure if these symptoms are related to RLS, but I do wonder though. At least your daddy isn't alone it seems as though a lot of people suffer from it and its pretty common.:o
    Ditey74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2006, 01:04 PM
    I have RLS also, have had for years. It had gotten much worse, I was not able to sleep at all at night.

In a strange about way, I started eating bananas every day, and noticed... hmmmmm my RLS isn't there. Well I found it hard to keep bannanans in the house, I hate them when they get black spots, so I started taking Potassium tablets 99 mg 2 per day. It has helped 99 %! Doctor tried me on some medication, it made me sick, and I just can't take many medications.

So please try eating a banana a day, and research this Potassium with your doctor. I promise it works. Oh also, my doctor told me to add calcium to it.

Good Luck,
    Ditey74
    CND Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Hi, I used to suffer from RLS regularly, and discovered that cutting bananas out of my diet removed the symptoms completely. The science of this seems paradoxical as dopamine agonists (things that increase dopamine in the body) are the primary medical treatment, and bananas are know to contain high levels of dopamine (that's why some people smoke the peels). I haven't figured out the connection yet, but I can definitely say removing bananas from my diet removed all my RLS symptoms
    devargas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 07:11 PM
    Hey, CND, I seem to have the same story. When I eat a banana, my RLS flares up. Seems counter to what others seem to think--that the potasium or whatever in bananas helps to relieve the symptoms. Interesting that our stories differ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the "blinking less" syndrome called? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, you know how people who spend a lot of time in front of the computer blink much less than people who don't? Well, is there a name for this?

View more questions Search