Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Wiring entire bathroom using 20 amp GFI breaker
    Hello to all... and thank you for reading this. Here it is... and I know there are other ways (easier) to wire the bathroom, but this is how it is done now so I must proceed forward. I have sent a 12-2 wire into a 4 gang box in the bathroom (from a 20 amp GFI breaker... all wires to all switches, etc. are 12-2... I know... hard work! ) and I am picking up a receptacle, a tulip light over vanity, a lightswitch (light at light/fan unit gets own switch), a fan switch, and a canister light switch for a light over the tub/shower alcove... anyway, here is my question... I need to hook all the grounds, blacks and white wires up prior to the inspector arriving on job... I am confident that I need to pigtail all the grounds and leave a separate ground wire off for every switch and the receptacle in the box... I am also confident that I need to hook all the white wires together and pigtail off just 1 white wire for the receptacle... I also believe that I need to pigtail the black wires to feed off for the switches and the receptacle... seems like a lot of pigtailing going on to me... I mean can I fit all this into a plastic 4 gang box (actually, the inspector of wiring said all is OK... just connect all up... just seems like a lot of wires. Further, in this 4 gang box I am sending power across the room to a switch by the door for the overhead light (at fan but sepeartely switched)... here, I planned on simply tying in the black, white and ground to all these large pigtails. Anyway, way I see it... and you guys/gals let me know if I am wrong here... I will have the 12-2 grounds pigtailed ( a total of 10 wires with 5 grounds sticking out to attach to the receptacle and switch ground screws
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 01:51 PM
    It is good to make up all connections, and at each box. At 4 Gang you need 4 pigtails(Hot), and I would twist with appropriate switchleg, so when drywall is up and painted, there is no confusion, same at any of the recepticles. Intead of 8 wires under a wirenut,
    You could have 4 in 1 wirenut, 4 in another wirenut with a jumper between the 2.
    Since the GFI breaker is in the panel, be careful that if the 1 light is on a 3 way, the hot and neutral need to be on load side of GFI, or both Not on GFI.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 04:07 PM
    What I do with the ground that needs to connect to each device is use one very long wire for all the devices. If I understand you correctly, this will eliminate 4 of the pigtails, leaving you with 6 grounds to splice under one wirenut.

The long ground wire I loop around the first green screw, without cutting, and continue onto the next device, repeating the looping, without cutting, until the last device.

Does this make sense?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Hey TK, using that same technique on hots and neutrals, You can wire a room needing only 3 wirenuts at the fan, and 3 at the switchbox. Helps if it is stranded wire.
    Was kind of a game for me at one time, What is the least wirenuts needed for a bedroom?
    You can eleminate the 3 in the switchbox, if you feed power to the receptacle on the other side of the door, not the side with the switches, then around room to switchbox, then up to fan.
    The 3 wirenuts you need are provided with fan. Not real practicle, but handy if you find yourself on an Island and you forgot Your Wirenuts?
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Yes your right, I do the same with neutchs and hots as much as I can.

Good point.

There is so much to this trade that is handskills and technique, that can only best be shown, so hard to explain in words sometimes.

Maybe that is why an apprenticeship in this trade can take 4 to 5 years?

And we try to save the world here in 50 words or less. We must be nuts!

I would like to see a picture of this 4 gang box all spliced with all devices connected before they are installed into the box. Is that possible?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Hey TK, I want to see a picture of this myself... Exactly why I asked the question... LOL! I
    Mean... got in over my head or what! Anyway, seems I can reduce the # of wires. I appreciate the help AND all the years you guys invested learning like I have learned my trade.

Hey... when I am finished I will see what I can do to get a picture online... *smile*.. thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Now that I noted your name, if your truly a Mass plumber, you are a skilled tradesman, I am sure. Mass is a tough state.

I would think you have seen sparkies trim a box, and how the wires get folded, etc.

Just train the wires and you should do fine.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 03:30 PM
    The inspector will recognize the technique, and love it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaker wiring [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of wire do I need for a 250 amp breaker?

Water Heater; Breaker Wiring? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I'm installing a new electric water heater. All plumbed and wired to the heater. Just picked up a new 30amp breaker, ready to put in the panel. 10/2 wire…At the tank; red to white, black to black, green grounded. My question is about wires to the breaker? Green is easy that’s the...

Bathroom or outside Breaker panel installation. [ 2 Answers ]

I asked this before, but can not find the answer.. I am installing a 150 amp service, and originally was putting the breaker box etc in a 1/2 bath.. and was told, that is not proper.. So, I can install same unit, opposite wall, but will be outside, under a totally dry balcony type place, and I...

Arc fault breaker wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Can I power two arc fault protected circuits through one 14-3 feeder? I intend to install two arc fault breakers in the panel and route the power to two bedrooms through a single run of 14-3 cable.

Wiring AC condenser to Breaker Box [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a home that had a few vandal problems. It seems someone was trying to steal most of the pieces to the breaker box while it set empty during sale. The closing company had most of it repaired during closing, but turns out today *the hottest day in a month* the wire from...

View more questions Search