Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggiethecat Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2006, 02:00 AM
    Fridge Thermostat problem?
    I found that my icebox (not auto defrost) was losing frost (not a huge amount was in there, but enough so I noticed it had receded) and it didn't seem like the fridge thermostat was turning on regularly. I turned up the thermostat knob and that seemed to get it started again for about two weeks, when I noticed (I had been putting water bottles in the icebox to see if they were frozen by the next day) that the water bottle wasn't frozen by morning, so I again turned up the thermostat knob and again it seems to be running all right again.

But my question is this. Is the fact that I've twice had to turn up the thermostat in the fridge an indicator that it's breaking down on me?

I've called in a maintenance person who will be here in a week, but I'd hate to have him come out just to tell me that my fridge seems to be working fine (which it is at the moment) and then be charged for a "nusance call" which wouldn't be covered by my warranty.

I'd appreciate knowing your opinion on this.
    Thank you very much!
    Maggie
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jan 31, 2006, 07:01 PM
    Doesn't sound good to me. Had to turn down the thermostat twice? You're losing ground.

Under warranty - call 'em! Before you lose the food inside.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2006, 08:17 PM
    Stew is new. I like what I have seen of his answers.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Jan 31, 2006, 10:11 PM
    Sometimes when thermostats fail, you can get them going again by exercising the control through its full range in both directions. Sounds to me like this is what you have done, and it works for a while and quits again. If I were working on it, I would probably replace the thermostat. There are other possibilities, but this does sound like a fairly common failure. I would recommend calling factory service and make sure to tell them all you've told us. If they are good, they will know what to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with Honeywell RTH230B thermostat [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, I have hooked up the thermostat (replaced an old analog Honeywell unit) and had the same wiring as the one on this post https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/...ead.php?t=14531 (ie on the old unit, the blue wire to the Y terminal and a yellow jumper wire from the Y terminal the back of the unit -...

Dripping Fridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE refrigerator with freezer on top, bought in 1998. There is water dripping from the top of the fridge. From reading other messages, I understand that there is probably something clogged/frozen. Is there anything I can do without taking everything out of my refrigerator and/or freezer? Or...

Fridge on too long [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a used house that came with a Maytag fridge. The fridge seems to stay on far too long. I have turned the setting dial to mid-way (5 of 10), but it still stays on far too long compared to other fridges I've had. What could be the reason? What can I do to fix? Thanks!

RTH230B Thermostat Problem [ 3 Answers ]

This goes out to anyone who might be able to help out. I purchased a Honeywell RTH230B to replace the old mercury thermostat. I have a gas furnace w/ A/C I have a 5 wire system with the following color code. Green for the fan, Yellow is on Remote A/C, White is on the W1 (Thermostat), Red also...

AC Thermostat Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings: I'm from Canada and last fall installed a NOMA 7 day programmable Thermostat to replace our old mercury switch thermostat. The heat default was set at 5 cycle times per hour which worked great, but now that I've switched over to AC, I'm finding it can't cool it down quick enough, and...

View more questions Search