Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Jan 3, 2006, 10:37 PM
    Former Teachers?
    I have been teaching for nearly four years now, and I have got to say I really don't enjoy it. It's not the subject matter (Chemistry, Science and Math) that bothers me, or the students. I love interacting with them. I just don't enjoy the politics of teaching. I wonder if there are any former teachers (or current ones) who have experienced these feelings. I have toyed with the idea of going back to school to do Nursing but am unsure. I would love to be a novelist, but that just seems too far-fetched. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm afraid I won't like any job I have! :(
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2006, 04:36 AM
    I'm not a former teacher, but my experience has been that the larger the organization you work for, the more "politics" will be involved.

Pursue your writing on the side with the goal to get published. Having a good "side pursuit" is a great way to escape from the politics of a "day job".
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 04:46 AM
    Teaching
    Hi,
    Being a former high school math teacher for 13 yrs. In one of the largest counties in VA, I quit to return to college for a Bachelors Degree in Engineering.
    I loved being with high school kids, and helping them, before and after school, as well as in classes, and being involved in extra-curricular sports activities. During that 13 yrs, I also obtained a Master Degree in Public School Administration and Supervision, working as a part-time Assistant Principal, in the same school system. My hopes were to be a full-time Principal.
    But, there were two issues which could only be resolved by getting out of teaching; One was money, the other "politics"!
    I do feel for you, and I'm afraid it hasn't changed much. My last year of teaching was 30 years ago!
    From my own experience, get into something you really like. A job has to be fun, something you like, in order to be worthwhile. Nurses are needed all over America. An RN makes very good money in our local small area, from $20 to $40 per hour. I don't really know the pay in other areas across the US.
    If not nursing, look into other professions. I do sincerely with you the best, and good luck with pursuing your interests.
    tjmann7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 05:29 AM

Hi there. Between having the nickelbee blues and a host of other common afflictions plaguing teachers who grow weary of the work, why not try going into business for yourself? Be your own boss, make your own hours (although it's actually a LOT of work, but at least you're doing something you really enjoy and are working to build something to pass onto your children). Look into network marketing! Visit Entrepreneurs Wanted and join a former teacher in the beauty of entrepreneurship... SUCH a much better career!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teachers vs Home Schooler Instructors [ 3 Answers ]

Why are regular teachers so upset when told that a child is leaving school to be home educated. After all, if the child is leaving school to be educated at home there is a good reason. Maybe the existence of too much violence and drugs at school has made his attendance impossible for example.

View more questions Search