Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    purplebuds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Abandonment of children?
    I have a brother who had been married for 13 years. Then his wife left them for other man. She left my brother and the children 13,12, and 5years old. Nine months later, she seeks her right to see her children. Does she really have the right to do so? And one more thing, when they were married, they were 18 years old and they changed their age to 25. Now the wife is claiming that their marriage is void, but for 13 years they lived as husband and wife. Is it really null and void? If it is, how about the children? Does my brother have the right to the children? Thank you very much
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Well first off, yes the mother has right to her children.

Secondly, why would they have lied when they got married and stated they were 25... they were 18, so they could have legally gotten married anyway... and how did the age change slip by? They would have had to shown drivers license's etc.?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 02:30 PM
    They are legally married regardless if they lied about their ages or even their right names. If mom wants to see her children she has the right. Have dad get an attorney to step in and figure out some kind of visitation schedule while he files for a divorce if he's not taking her back. He should ask for sole custody at that time as well.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Yes, no matter why she left, or what has happened, she can sue in court and get court ordered visit rights.

As for as being void, if they were really 18, the marriage will most likely be considered valid, but she can sue in court for a judge to decide.

As soon as she left, he should have filed for divorce and sole custody of the children, but she will get visit rights unless she is a danger to the kids.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: Can someone tell me the advantages and benefits of having a parent declared to have abandoned his children? excon

Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband is taking me to court for abandonment,how can he do that if I never left for more than 2 weeks at a time.and also in 1997 I have court papers from when he would up and leave me and my children for no reason and that's not abandonment.the only reason I left before was he would always...

Abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

Can the mother of a kid give the kid to the father for 10 months at a time and not have to do anything for the kid or even see the kid, would that be abandonment?

Abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 8 year old daugther that her real father has never seen her and I was wondering how long does it have to be before she is considered being abandon even if he is paying child support? Please help I am very confused:confused:

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

View more questions Search