Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Crating as medical treatment
    Now that I have been told to keep Trink quiet, I am noticing how much moving she actually does. I think of her as pretty sedate, but she will get up to follow me whenever I leave a room, no matter if I am just going to be in another room for a minute. For example, if I get up while watching TV to go use the bathroom, she will follow me, lie down where she can see me, and then follow me back to the living room. So I am thinking about trying to crate her to keep her from making those kinds of trips, but wanted some opinions and advice first. Keep in mind that the vet would like to see her crated pretty much 24/7 for at least the next few weeks to allow her leg to heal up, so this isn't the "normal" crating kind of question.

First off... do I pick one room and leave her in it when I go to the others, or have (or
    move) a crate in each room that we tend to spend time in? That would be the living room, bedroom, and computer room. Second, is it possible to rent something like this? Large crates are expensive, and I'm not planning on using it after she gets better, unless it appears that she really really likes it. Third, would using something like an X-pen work, or am I better off sticking with a crate? I'm thinking that I could move the X-pen from room to room easier, but it would allow her to move more when I go out of the room, which might be bad. Fourth, is this even a good idea, or is she going to do more harm to herself if she gets nervous about not being able to keep an eye on me? And finally... will being crated keep her from giving me that soulful "why aren't we going for a walk" look, or am I just going to have to keep hardening my heart against that?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Remember, I am one of the staunchest advocates of the crate on the net. Now might not be a good time to introduce the crate unless the vet gives you some Valium for her. Try a tie down, I usually use chain fastened on one end and a snap on the other. If she isn't a chewer, for now just use your regular leash. That way, you can move her where ever you will be without her following you every trip. Tie downs are used a lot with dog guides. They use a double ended leash that is easily used as one.

If you do buy a crate, you don't need a big one. A big one or an X-pen would defeat the purpose. See the sticky for advice on sizing a crate. Never heard of a rental. Sometimes you can get a deal on a used one.

Even the visually impaired dread the look.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Talked to the vet, and she said it was OK if Trink followed me around the house, and that she can go out for her afternoon sunbath. So I am feeling better. :) I am stocked up with treats so that we can work on targeting and give/take. I've been trying to get her to retrieve things, but she is much happier to chew on whatever I use as a target than give it to me. So, I have things to work on while she can't move.

Oh, and just some tidbits that I have learned from this. Pill pockets make giving medicine much easier, if your dog likes them. (My vet gave me some to try before I went and bought them.) Head bobbing while walking can be a sign of lameness (depending on extent, normal gait, etc.). And, if you feel that something is just "off", sometimes you're right. I just wish that I had gone in earlier about this.

Finally... I'm wondering if this is why Trink suddenly started freezing at the daycare parking lot? She used to love to go, but the last month or so, when I would take her there she'd be fine in the parking lot until we started going to the stairs to the building, at which point she'd just stop and try to get back in the car. I'm wondering if it's because her leg hurt going up the steps? I thought that she was just being nervous because of the earlier dog attack, but now I wonder if it was pain all this time that made her act differently. It would explain a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Visa to seek medical treatment in United States [ 1 Answers ]

My mother in the Philippines is daignosed with stage 4 Bladder cancer and was told by her oncologist that she has only 9 to 12 months to live. I want to bring her here to United States for a more aggressive cancer treatment. How and where can I get a visa for her.

Explain Crating To Me,How To Do It And What Does It Do? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I want my dog to sleep inside during night. So I'm thinking of crating it. I'm just not sure how or what it does, I'm just really confused about the crating thing. Like does it keep the dog from messing in the house at night. Like I'm going to set my alarm at around 4:00 am so I can take her...

De-crating our dog [ 1 Answers ]

We have crated our 4-year old dog since she was a puppy during our work day. We have tried many times over the years to "house-break" her as we truly hate having her in a crate all day. She is such a great dog all the time except when we leave her for the day uncrated. She tears up curtains,...

Daschund crating [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any recommendations on crates specifically for daschund puppies?

Crating two dacshunds together [ 1 Answers ]

My two dacshunds have had the run of the house with a doggy-door to a fenced backyard since we moved into this house 3 years ago. Unfortunately, they have progressively gotten worse about peeing on the floor, and I think it is time to start crating them while I am gone. My question is whether I...

View more questions Search