Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kolmale Posts: 11, Reputation: -1

Jan 3, 2006, 03:24 PM
    Software to Track Internet Data Transfer & Usage
    I want to get a free software to manage my ADSL connection at home, which will tell me the amount of data transferred while I am on net, both sent and received. It will also keep monthly records on each time log-in basis, so that I can get my usage data. It should be absolutely a freeware, as I cannot pay from the place I reside.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2006, 03:42 PM
    Try:

http://www.download.com/

Jan 3, 2006, 03:48 PM
    No use
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Why should I have asked for an open suggestion, unless I proved false searching all over? If someone knows any particual freeware, tell me! Searching part, I can do all by myself! No need to mention sites!
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 3, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Rude
    I feel that you have been a little rude to the poster trying to HELP U!

Your best option is just to type your question into google.com and search from there

Jan 3, 2006, 04:16 PM
    Sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by nwsflash
    I feel that you have been a little rude to the poster trying to HELP U !!

This site is good and people are very good -- But if you post and upset people U will find no1 will wana help U.:mad:
    I never meant being rude, but if it has hurt you anywayway, I am sorry. Find me a software, anyone, if u can.:o
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Jan 3, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Have you tried these before? I especially like the 3rd from the top. http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/ne...fwnetmoni.html

Jan 4, 2006, 03:42 AM
    Not working
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyman
    Have you tried these before? I especially like the 3rd from the top. http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/ne...fwnetmoni.html
    I tried the software, but it seems to have a bug and is not working; showing error and shutting down.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 4, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolmale
    I want to get a free software to manage my ADSL connection at home, which will tell me the amount of data transferred while I am on net, both sent and recieved. It will also keep monthly records on each time log-in basis, so that I can get my usage data. It should be absolutely a freeware, as i cannot pay from the place I reside.
    Since you are new, we have no idea what searches you might have done. It would have helped to explain that.

The best site I know for searching for freeware is tucows.com. You can specify that you only want freeware in your searches.

I'm curious as to why you want to do this. Unless you pay for usage (unusual in a broadband connection), I really don't see the value.

Jan 4, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Since you are new, we have no idea what searches you might have done. It would have helped to explain that.

The best site I know for searching for freeware is tucows.com. You can specify that you only want freeware in your searches.

I'm curious as to why you want to do this. Unless you pay for usage (unusual in a broadband connection), I really don't see the value.
    Ok let me explain, I said I need a software to read my data usage. I amnt using a free serviceprovider. All I need the software is to to monitor it. Yes, the site you have mentioned, I have visited that too, with many more. Now why I want a freeware is that, the place where I live in is far off, and I don't have an online usageable credit card. As you know it now, I feel it will help you understand my problem better.
    If you know of any such freeware that may help me monitor my internet usage(ADSL), please let me know.
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Jan 4, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Did you try http://www.thefreecountry.com/logtime/index.shtml?
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jan 4, 2006, 12:09 PM
    I tried the software, but it seems to have a bug and is not working; showing error and shutting down.
    You need ms framework

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/i...2fdotnetfx.exe

Jan 4, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by admin
    I have a request, please don't tell me name of any site anymore, unless you can name any software in particular avaialable in that site, as required by me. I have searched all, and I feel enough!

Jan 5, 2006, 06:26 AM
    Ok let me explain, I said I need a software to read my data usage. I amnt using a free serviceprovider. All i need the software is to to monitor it. Yes, the site you have mentioned, I have visited that too, with many more. Now why I want a freeware is that, the place where I live in is far off, and I dont have an online usageable credit card. As you know it now, I feel it will help you understand my problem better.
    If you know of any such freeware that may help me monitor my internet usage(ADSL), please let me know.
    Did you mean to say that you "are not using a free service provider?" Very few of us are. Does your provider charge you by the minute or by the amount of bytes transmitted? If so, did you check with them to see if they provide any tools to help you monitor?

I do not know of any specific freeware to do what you want. But I still question your need for it. Most DSL connections are always on and charge a monthly fee not a usage fee. If you are not charged for usage, then what is the value of monitoring?

Jan 5, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Did you mean to say that you "are not using a free service provider?" Very few of us are. Does your provider charge you by the minute or by the amount of bytes transmitted? If so, did you check with them to see if they provide any tools to help you monitor?

I do not know of any specific freeware to do what you want. But I still question your need for it. Most DSL connections are always on and charge a monthly fee not a usage fee. If you are not charged for usage, then what is the value of monitoring?
    I am charged on date usage and not time or anything else. Otherwise, why would I look for such a meter?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2006, 10:47 AM
    I am charged on date usage and not time
    That doesn't make any sense.

Jan 5, 2006, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    That doesn't make any sense.
    I wonder how the word 'data' changed into date!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Because you typed date, not data so when NeedKarma quoted you, it came up as date since that is what you typed.

I am charged on date usage and not time or anything else. Otherwise, why would I look for such a meter?
    That is what you said, to refresh your memory

Where do you live? Many other companies can give you much better Internet rates where you pay a monthly flat fee, no matter how much usage you use.

Jan 6, 2006, 07:09 AM
    Ok, so you are charged for data usage. That is unusual for a DSL connection, but if your carrier is charging you that way, have you asked them for recommendations about metering software as I've suggested?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Private in data in internet café [ 5 Answers ]

I use internet in an internet café. Everybody must download to the same folder and it is not secure to place my data there. What I must do to make my data secure. Is there any kind of software that ask for password when we want to view a folder that do not require administrator right to install...

Making a back up of data via internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I hope u can help me to find a documentation helping me to make a tele backup. In other way , how to create a virtual server with 2 machines (computers) or more... wich all user can connect to put their backups on this server. On foreground the clients things that they'r saving their...

Unable to transfer data from old PC [ 1 Answers ]

Am getting stuck trying to move files and settings from one XP PC to another. I have a cat 5 crossover patch cable, and have set up a LAN, but keep getting stuck in the wizard because it doesn't seem to want to let me use the cable... can anyone help?

Track internet history [ 2 Answers ]

I sometimes visit webpages that I do not want other people to see. So I regularly clean internet history (basic methods, in the tool bar, internet options delete internet history), but I wonder still my roommate who shares the computer can track the internet history. Is it possible to see the...

Data transmission over the internet [ 1 Answers ]

Is there an international agreement governing the transmission of data and voice over the internet?

View more questions Search